1976 Avanti exhaust pipes

Penn Avanti

I am getting my 76 Avanti back on the road. I have part of the exhaust system installed up to the catalytic converter outlet pipe that goes through the hole in the frame but I don't remember where the system splits from there and where the muffler goes. I am trying to keep the system stock. Any information would be welcome.

Roger

Hi Roger....On my '83 the cat fits into the passenger side portion of the 'X'...then the pipe that exits the converter (and the X) splits into a 'Y'...which feeds into twin mufflers that feed into the tailpipes./

Depending on your state laws regarding cars of that age, you can just remove the catalytic converter and simply run a full dual exhaust system as pre-cat cars had. If you want, you can install a performance converter in each down pipe if you want. They're not that expensive. A good performance shop can do that.

There was a change in the exhaust routing because the cars in the 1976 range split the pipes after the X member and I would like to maintain that arrangement if I can. The question is where was the muffler, just behind the X member on the right of the driveshaft or under the trunk like the '76 Camaro?. I do recall that some of the cars had mufflers under the trunk area but don't remember which ones. Straight duals w/o cats probably won't work here in VA, especially if the car gets state inspection.

Roger

Does the exhaust split into duals with two mufflers and tail pipes after it exits the converter? Many cars did that...the '78 Corvette I once owned was set up like that. Some cars have a catalytic converter that has two inlets and two outlets or one inlet and two outlets.

Maybe someone with an Avanti of that era can confirm what the factory did.

There was a change in the exhaust routing because the cars in the 1976 range split the pipes after the X member and I would like to maintain that arrangement if I can. The question is where was the muffler, just behind the X member on the right of the driveshaft or under the trunk like the '76 Camaro?. I do recall that some of the cars had mufflers under the trunk area but don't remember which ones. Straight duals w/o cats probably won't work here in VA, especially if the car gets state inspection.

Roger

Please re-read post #2. If your Avanti originally had a 'cat', I'm sure this would be how the exhaust system was set-up...Once again, the twin mufflers connect up to the y-pipe ends, then the twin tailpipes fit into the ends of the mufflers.

Depending on your state laws regarding cars of that age, you can just remove the catalytic converter and simply run a full dual exhaust system as pre-cat cars had. If you want, you can install a performance converter in each down pipe if you want. They're not that expensive. A good performance shop can do that.

Roger expressed an interest in keeping the exhaust system on his Avanti ORIGINAL Gunslinger.