Avanti Bodies!

mfg

When Studebaker closed out Avanti production in late december of 1963, how many completed Avanti bodies were on hand at mfg (Molded Fiberglass Company) and ready for shipment to Studebaker?

1) None.......2) 70..........3) 150...........4) 215

The figure I've seen is 150. That may not be exact but it's what been quoted. That's why Bob Morrison of MFG was so willing to work with Nate Altman in getting the Avanti II off the ground. It was a way to get those unshipped and unpaid for Avanti bodies out of inventory as they were otherwise a dead loss to the company.

Was the MFC fully assembling the bodies at that time or were they partial assemblies? Early on Studebaker took over the assembly process.

That's a good question. Studebaker set up an Avanti body assembly operation in house because of the delay in getting completed bodies from mfg, but it probably would have made sense for mfg to keep supplying bodies,....at least until supply reaced anticipated demand.....a demand which, of course, never materialized.

What I've read was Nate Altman brought body assembly in house as soon as practical for quality control reasons. It may have been for economic reasons just as much...the hourly wage for Avanti employees may well have been less than what MFG was paying its workers to assemble bodies. It was also likely far more economical to ship body parts for a number of vehicles than only a few complete car bodies on a transport.

As in most cases, I believe in "follow the money"...economics dictates far more business decisions than most realize.