Twin Track

Leo B

I opened Twin Track for the first time, so it's a new thing for me. It didnt work and I found something interesting. Thrust block (red circle) was missing and all plates where flat. The Parts Catalogue shows 5 plates per side. Work Shop Manual shows 4 per side.

Strange is that in Work Shop Manual is written also 5. In work shop manual Fig.15 Shows 4. In text is written three plates and two dished discs which makes 5.

Im confused. Which is correct in 1963 Dana 44 TT. 4 or 5 plates (plates and discs) per side?
I have 4 as you see.

twin-track.jpg

IMG_3873.JPG

Edited by Leo B
To make text clear.

Hi, I found the answer:

Plates:
Late 1957, (.096-101), 1958-59 All Models & Possibly 1960-64 w/ #44 R.A., (1957-59 takes 6, 1960 & Later takes 4). I have 4 plates and 4 discs, which is correct.
Hope that new axle thrust block, plates, discs and side gear rings will make this like a new. Lets see.

Now comes the interesting thing.... 🤔

Inside the twin track are two axel thrust blocks (10) that are thru pinion shafts (9&11). When you remove the axles before whole differential, they fall into the axle tube and you won't even notice it. Getting them back in place so that the whole differential is in place is very difficult.

Thrust blocks have small hole. In the parts picture there is a little pin between them. That pin doesn't have a part number and I don't have the pin. Of course I can do that.

Is the small pin meant to hold the thrust blocks (10) together? If anyone knows, please tell.
In any case, my intention is to study their function and mission.

thrustblock10-1.jpg

thrustblock10.jpg

Edited by Leo B

I think I solved the installation of the axle thrust blocks.

The small pin in the previous parts picture between the thrust blocks is a Spring Roller Pin. After cleaning the blocks carefully, I noticed a broken pin inside blocks. Size is 3,17mm x 25,0 mm. (01/8") I understand that the purpose is to hold the thrust block pieces together during installation. The blocks work separately, so the spring roller pin will not stay intact for a long time. And that's probably not the intention. Pin pieces will not come off inside differential because pin breaks in between and pin parts stays inside thrust blocks like it was in my case.

spring-pin.jpg

Edited by Leo B

• 2 months later...

Hi, If somebody is interested how Dana Spicer model 60 and 70 Twin Track / Limited Slip / Powr-Lok works, please check this SERVICE MANUAL BULLETIN 5315-3.

https://media.spicerparts.com/cfs/files/media/ahd5WcQ3TvJismpvQ/5315-3.pdf?store=original

Edited by Leo B