power window

arkus

just took the drivers side door apart to repair non-working window. found the motor to be ok but the drive mechanism that the motor hooks to thru the rubber connector  was bound up. was surprised to find the large wound up spring totally absent. it was obvious someone had been in there before me. logic would suggest the spring helps or it wouldn't have been there to begin with but i wonder if the window will work without one as i don't have one handy and would like to put the door back together. any ideas? thanks

Having gone through my power windows, I strongly suggest you purchase a new spring. There's a better than 50/50 chance of burning out the motor if you don't have the spring doing the heavy lifting. Its sole purpose is to assist the motor when you raise the window. The glass is heavier than you may think. When you lower the window, gravity helps to wind the spring. Removing a window is a real pain...but you'll find it a lot easier to repair the lifting mechanism with it out of the way.