Belt routing for a 70 Avanti

lupo

Need help, I have a 70 Avanti with air conditioning would like to bring back to original with fan belts and the Idler pulleys which I still have. IF someone can post a photograph I would appreciate it . thank you

Idler pulley?  Maybe we have a semantics problem and/or I'm not keeping up with developments, but I associate idler pulleys with serpentine belts, not V belts.  My 74 with original engine is arranged this way: Crank pulley has three grooves; Front one for water pump/fan and alternator, middle one for power steering, and rear one for air conditioning.  No idler pulley or tensioner.

Edited by Skip Lackie
left out word

I know what you're talking about,  my "72 was set up this way when it was stock. Unfortunately I've made some changes to it over the years so while I can't show you pictures of mine I was able to find some of another '70 Avanti which hopefully will be of some help. For the V-belts, the one closest to the engine goes from the first crank pulley groove to the power steering pump. The middle one goes on the middle groove of the crank pulley and around the water pump and alternator. The third most forward belt goes on the third groove of the crank pulley, and around the idlers and AC compressor. You adjust the position of the idlers to adjust the belt tension.  I hope this helps. 

1970_avanti_ii_1562270309cd20849avanti12.jpg

1970_avanti_ii_15622702945d565ef66e7dffavanti13.jpg

• 1 year later...