Door weatherstrip

Ed M

My '81 (RBQ-3318) got a very nice paint job courtesy of the previous owner, but they forgot to weatherstrip the doors - I've lived with the wind noise for a while.  The car is in to my excellent mechanic for installation of new ones.  With all of your help, I ordered some mid-80's Monte Carlo pieces, but it turned out that did not include the ones on the body at the windows - he got some late 60's Camaro pieces to do that.  I thought at the same time I would replace the stiff and cracked wing vent seals, so ordered them from Avanti Parts.  My mechanic started to install them and noticed they did not include the vertical seal at the back of the vent window, just the one that forms angled front of the window and the bottom.  So I had to order them separately.

When I used the driver's side power window, if I held the switch too long it would make a horrendous clank at the top like a slipping gear.  I thought it might be a faulty shutoff.  My mechanic discovered that the fiberglass interior piece of the door was cracked right up the center and when the window got to the top, the break would separate and the gear would slip.  He fashioned a small strip of steel bar and bolted it on and solved the problem.

While he was into the doors I had him put some Dynamat in there.

Hopefully I will soon have a quiet car

Ed M