Replace antenna mast? 81 avanti

JavierB

Hi all.  another in the endless series of questions:

anyone replace the antenna mast of the power antenna in an 80's era car?  Any idea what specific antenna would work?  I've removed the motor and the antenna from the motor (it just slid out, rather surprisingly, but its all bent out of shape.)  the motor works fine but if its easier/more advised to swap out the whole unit I'll do that.  As usual any advice, leads or pointers welcome.

Can't answer your question directly (hopefully someone else may have wrestled with this issue), but I've replaced power antenna units on Jaguar XJS. Also I replaced just the mast (and the plastic cord insert inside it) on a 1993 Toyota (like this part on eBay: https://is.gd/Y4caI9 )... don't really remember much about that except it was easier than I thought it would be and the part came with instructions; you could contact the seller of these eBay replacement masts, giving them your antenna shaft diameter and extended length measurements to see if they have one that would work.

Since you have the motor removed, are there any manufacturer markings (model name/number) on it, such as "Hirschmann"? If so, Google whatever info you find to see if you can source Hirschmann replacement parts. Also, there are universal replacement power antennas on eBay (quality unknown): one claims to fit '66-'90 Avanti. another for '72 Avanti, another that supposedly fits '66-'77 Avanti, etc.

Last resort: try Avanti Motorcars: https://is.gd/MirTIh (their website is sketchy, you'll need to phone them).

Thanks.  The motor is called a "Power Hi Antenna" made in Japan, and does not have any other visible markings.  googling that yields no useable results.   I've seen the various "universal" ones, but figured I would troll around for someone who might have tried this before.  Updates to follow.

IMG_8591.JPG

From your photo it looks like your telescoping antenna is crimped, so rather than the new unit on eBay, if your motor runs perhaps you can find a cheaper HIA antenna being sold for parts that may have a good antenna.

Wow, thanks!  Your eyes were keener than mine, I didnt even notice the "A" in the brand name, I thought it said Hi Power not HIA Power.  that makes all the difference.

This totally helps and that eBay find is excellent.  You've earned your two schillings for the day!  Now, if you have any ideas about weather sealing for the SkyTop, you would shoot to the top of my best friend's list.  🙂

For anyone in the future interested:  the HIA antenna is short for HARADA INDUSTRIES OF AMERICA, which still exists.  They also supplied power antennas for Porsche and Volkswagen among others.  Harada Antennas are plentiful if you search for Harada and not HIA antennas.  The precise model used in the Avanti is uncertain, but by appearances only seems to be FA-80A, but this is just a guess.  My own antenna does not seem to have a model number on it anywhere to confirm.

What is stupidly difficult is figuring out what specs are needed to replace the mast.  All of the masts that are sold refer to "fits 1978 Chevy Blazer" or "fits 95-97 Camaro" but nothing obviously about Avanti's specifically, so not sure what anythings dimensions are that I should be trying to match.  😞  Maybe I need to head to a stereo installer and plead for help.  I'm figuring buying a NOS version of the same unit would probably have a real brittle plastic riser cord by this point making it a short term solution at best.

If I were you, I'd take a flyer on this kit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274665822843?hash=item3ff35bda7b:g:OEkAAOSwjR9gFZj-

If that doesn't work you're not out much money.

I also mentioned the "generic" antenna mast repair/replacement kits being sold on eBay; consider sending an eBay message to one or more of those sellers to see if they can tell you if they have a kit that works with your Harada antenna.

Any number of new power antennas would work, the only issue being how to mount them. If you're willing to spend the money, any stereo installer can sell & install a new universal power antenna for you.