steering box 1969 rqa0319

drat

Anyone rebuilt thier steering box? I bought a new cam, with the intention of doing so.

Hard not hard?

I have the service manual, and have already done the bell crank, pin, bushing, tie rods, etc..

The replacement cross shaft bushings from SI are longer than the originals. There is an oil hole that must be lined up with a corresponding hole in the casting. The cover gasket needs to be the correct thin paper type. The top seal isn't a direct replacement, and the aluminum holder needs to be reamed to fit it. The sector shaft seal wont last too long because it gets cooked being so close to the exhaust manifold. I have had better luck using a silicon high temp seal sourced from a bearing supply house. [i don't have the numbers in front of me]. Just cross reference the CR original seal. The pin is available, but the rollers are not, so if they are pitted, you have to scrounge. The end bearings you can source from any good bicycle shop. Follow shop manual procedures on setting up adjustments, and preload shims.

• 4 weeks later...