63 Avanti R2 63R-1187

steve remick

I completely remanufactured the engine (289 R1).  Pistons 10,000 over size.  Hardened valves, valve springs. All engine bearings replaced and all internal parts such as pistons, rods ported and polished. I'm using Vavoline Racing Oil VR1 SAE 20W-50.

My question.  Do I need to add a lead substitute (CD-2) on gas fuel up?

Thanks to all in advance for your comments!

I assume you bored it out 0.010 in. oversize.  If you installed hardened valve SEATS then you should not need a lead additive.  In fact, I have heard little about problems with valve recession in stock Studebaker V8s when running straight, unleaded gasoline.  But, I suppose, that might depend on how many miles you drive the car and how hard you drive it.

But, with hardened valve seats, I don't think anyone will recommend a lead substitute.

-Dwight

3 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

I assume you bored it out 0.010 in. oversize.  If you installed hardened valve SEATS then you should not need a lead additive.  In fact, I have heard little about problems with valve recession in stock Studebaker V8s when running straight, unleaded gasoline.  But, I suppose, that might depend on how many miles you drive the car and how hard you drive it.

But, with hardened valve seats, I don't think anyone will recommend a lead substitute.

-Dwight

Dwight...That is correct, that was a test and you PASSED!  I also use NON-OXY FUEL.

Thanks for your reply