Light on 1964 goes off and on

Richard Ulerick

Not sure of Studebaker but I worked on a lot of Fords with this problem. Ford had a circuit breaker inside the headlight switch, when the switch started to go bad the headlights would start going on and off. When you pulled the switch you could see where one or more of the spade terminals on the switch were overheated. Sometimes the plastic headlight plug would melt.

• 2 weeks later...
My Lights on my 1964 Avanti R1 at night driving just keep going off and on is there a circiuit breaker over heating and cooling down problem?

has anyone ever had that problem and what is the fix?

Hello, Richard,

I have a '70, but I bet my electrical fuse/circuit breaker block arrangement is very close to your '64's. I had the very same trouble and traced it down to one of the "push-on" connectors on one of the screw terminals of the headlight circuit breaker (it is the breaker at the end of the fuse/circuit breaker block nearest the firewall.) I cut off the "push-on" connector, which had lost the "spring" in its grip, and replaced that connector with a "ring" type connector which I double-nutted onto the screw terminal of the circuit breaker. I did this back in 1976 and haven't had any trouble since then.

I hope this solves your problem also.

Good luck and best regards,

Paul