Power Steering

alabama41

My R1 just broke my heart a few days ago when while bullying my steering wheel it broke. One of the spokes broke out of the wheel and my steering was dead. I have repaired it, but I think it is time to install power steering. Has anybody attempted this and is there an after market set up I can install?

Guest dapy

I think my 1964 R2 (R4888) had power steering. (How quickly we forget.)

I recently switched steering wheels in another old car (not an Avanti) and found just the right one at the Grant Web site. They are the leading after market steering wheel provider. Need to know the diameter of the one you are replacing.

Sometimes replacing and inflating front tires makes non power steering easier.

I don't know what size tires you're running on your car but you have to remember the original size was 6.70-15...a quite skinny tire by todays standards. Skinny tires like that took little effort for manual turning during that time period. Today's wider tires require much more effort. I'm not saying it still doesn't take effort. If it does take that much effort that resulted in breakage of the steering wheel, there may be some mechanical issue with the steering that requires attention.

I would call Jon Myer for advice for installing power steering...he would have all the parts necessary and would likely know if something else would install rather than use an original design system.