Altman Brothers survey of original Avanti owners

sinkhole

When the Altman brothers took over production of the Avanti, they commissioned a survey of original Avanti owers to get an idea of owner satisfaction.  All participants received a TV tray with the image of an Avanti, and a complete list of original owners and their cars.  Mine was an early 64 with round headlamps (transitional) and was sold in 1969.  Over the years I have tried to track it down, but lost all of my paperwork during a robbery.  I still have my tray and would love to get a copy of the original owner's survey.  If anyone has a copy, and  would be willing to send/e-mail me a copy, It would be greatly appreciated.

tia,  David Thuss

1964-Wedding Day-s.jpg

No I don't.  It was a 64 R1 with round headlights, and the number fell in the transitional range, but that's all I remember.  I thought that the survey results had a list of the owners, and their cars serial numbers and was hoping that would jog my memory.  I lived north of Philadelphia, and sold the car in 1969 to a buyer in southern New Jersey. 

Well, it's not like looking for a needle in a haystack.....because the 'haystack' simply isn't very big!

Being one of the rare transitional models certainly narrows the search. (A friend of mine owns one of those, # R4943, Avanti Gold, R1, four speed)

I think I'd make a list of the specifics of the car as best you can remember....color interior, auto or four speed, R1 or R2, tinted glass, a/c, factory seatbelts.....and anything else you can think of that would make it stand out.......and then keep 'bumping' this post forward.

Although I'm not a fan of the SDC Forum, it may be a good idea to post your query there also......Good luck!.....Ed:)

I've been to Bob Johnstone's site on several occasions, but lacking the serial number I couldn't connect with anything.  What I really would like to get is a copy of the survey that was done.  I think that it had the original owners names, and the serial numbers of their car/cars.  Mine was listed in that survey.

Mine was an R1 with auto tranmission, white exterior, and black interior and was purchased new in October of 1963.

If anyone has a copy of this survey, and would be willing to scan and send me a copy, I'd greatly appreciate it.  I'm trying to bring back some old memories.

Yes, that's the survey I'm referring to.  I had a compiled list of all original owners and their vehicles.  I had mine for years along with the complimentary serving tray they sent each owner.  My list was lost, and I'm looking for a copy to replace mine.

On 8/20/2020 at 9:38 AM, sinkhole said:

Yes, that's the survey I'm referring to.  I had a compiled list of all original owners and their vehicles.  I had mine for years along with the complimentary serving tray they sent each owner.  My list was lost, and I'm looking for a copy to replace mine.

While looking through an old AOAI Newsletter,  #10,  Summer 1967.......I came across a reprint of the survey you're mentioning here.....About 1200 Avanti owners replied to that survey, and there were eight 'highlited' questions, amongst several others.....The newsletter states the respondents did indeed receive a fiberglass Avanti serving tray.......Ed :)

Ed,  Here's a picture of the tray.  If you still have the newsletter, could you scan it and either send me a copy, of post it here?  I'd really appreciate it.

P1010004.JPG

Cool memento!....The newsletter article mentions the survey. (It apparently was sent out in late '66 or early '67)....It lists eight (what is referred to as "highlited" questions) ...and really not much else.

It's not the actual survey itself, however, if you would like me to copy the newsletter page and e-mail it to you, I would be happy to do that......Ed:)

Ed,  I appreciate your efforts and replies.  What I'm really interested in finding is my serial number.  I thought that they were listed in the survey, and was hoping that someone still had a copy that would show me on the list.  Thanks again...  Dave