Interior Restoration

Rogerg

Restoring a 1963 Avanti and need some help finding reputable vendors to refurbish gauges (clock, tach, speedo, ammeter, vacuum) and steering wheel. Any ideas how to find an authentic radio, mine is an cassette player labeled Avanti? I have local support for restoring seats and carpet.

There are several outfits that restore steering wheels. Shrock Brothers specializes in Avanti plastics and have good reputation within the AOAI and SDC.

BUT, IMHO, they seem to be expensive..$800 last time I checked.

I've heard good things about other firms, like Gary's in the east (Penn?). There are also many outfits that place ads in Hemmings.

Likewise gauges, there are outfits that seem to specializes in Studebaker items which are Stewart-Warner units.

http://www.studebakervendors.com/

Obviously, cassette players were not around in the days of Studebaker Avantis. They were optional on Avanti IIs beginning in the late 60s. The large Studebaker-International parts house does offer an "Avanti" labeled unit.

Edited by J Boyle

The cassette stereos with the "Avanti" name are made by Custom AutoSound. I've never had one myself but I've not heard much positive about their quality. It's essentially the same stereo with different name decals applied and will fit most cars that have the old type two knobs. They work but their sound quality leaves much to be desired.

I do have a Custom AutoSound 4"x10" speaker in the dash of my Avanti...it works...I'll give it that. The sound quality is not great and it can't take much volume without distortion. I have better speakers installed in the doors and leave the fade control to them and not worry about the CAS speaker.

Cassettes are obsolete technology...even CD's are becoming obsolete if not already. Only lower line car stereos seem to come with CD players now. The future is digital players or digital compatible.

It comes down to whether you want your car correct or modified. If you want correct, then original AM radios appear on Ebay regularly. You might find some available from vendors as well. Calling around may find you one.

BTW - Gary's Steering Wheel Restoration in Carlisle, PA does magnificent work...but the cost might give you pause depending on the steering wheel and the repairs needed. Quality costs.

Edited by Gunslinger