Front protection: Bra or 3M or other

AnAvantiR1for Bob

My 1963 Avanti is a driven car and since it has a rather large front painted surface, I am inquiring about protection from stone chips, etc. Please share info/opinion if you have used a vinyl bra and/or the 3M clear applique or other protectors and the results. Any recommendations? Thanks, Bob

Road rash has been a problem with Avantis since day 1.

I have a vinyl bra for my '70 but since bras are unavailable for my 2002 I had a 3M invisible bra installed. It had to be custom cut since there's no pattern and was quite expensive. It was about a six hour operation to get it done. An original body style Avanti would also need to be custom cut. I've had no problems with it and you can polish and wax right over it.

There is (or was) a company that can make a vinyl bra for your car. I'm not at my primary computer where I have the information on them. They have the Avanti pattern to make one on order. When I'm back at my regular computer I can look them up and post it for you.

The 3M stuff looks interesting, if you can get it to apply smoothly. I did some reading on it this morning and apparently it's important that you have it well waxed before application.

I have had some of the 3M clear film on the front bumper of my pickup for 5 years and it's held up well. You can definitely see the line where it is, though.