Question on 1982 Avanti gas tanks, the vent tube.

grobb284

I am having a problem on my 1982 Avanti gas tank, installed in my 1963 Avanti.

I have the hose going up into the passenger sail panel, just like the 1963, and venting over the axle. This hose is attached to what is marked overflow in the picture.

I have my 5/16 return line splitting into two 5/16 lines, going to both the top drain and return line. just like a 1982 Avanti.

My problem is that even with only 4 gallons of gas in the tank, fuel is going up into hose from the tube marked overflow. The tank is then somewhat sealed, and then develops some pressure.

My question is: The tube ( marked overflow) that acts as a vent in a 1963 Avanti (and is short), is it longer (?) in a 1982 Avanti, and goes near the bottom of the tank for the EPA for a sealed tank system for emissions? Is that why it can't vent properly?

Curious if anyone else has experienced this, or specifically knows what is going on here.

Here is a link for a photo of the gas tank http://forum.studeba...05&d=1375014764

My question is: The tube ( marked overflow) that acts as a vent in a 1963 Avanti (and is short), is it longer (?) in a 1982 Avanti, and goes near the bottom of the tank for the EPA for a sealed tank system for emissions? Is that why it can't vent properly?

I should have been less wordy on the SDC forum, Yes, is the answer, you are correct in your observation about the return line going near the bottom in the 82 tank.

Bob