Sticky power locks

Tony S

I have a habit of hitting the switch under the dash by accident and wind up locking the doors. The problem is that the d/s tumbler is so stiff I am afraid I will break the key when I try to unlock the door. The p/s is slightly better and I can manage to unlock the door. It seems like the tumbler is not the problem but the linkage and/or the solinoid/plunger for the p/l is sticky. Before I tear into the doors is there a particulay problem ares to look at with these symptoms?

I had a similar problem with the door locks on my 83 and after trying different lock lubricants which only seemed to make the problem worse, I ended up repacing the door lock tumblers.

I would get some WD-40 and spray like crazy in the gap for the window while turning the key. If a tumbler needs lubricating it's usually difficult to get the key in but difficulty turning is usually linkage.

ErnieR

I used some WD-40 sprayed inside the locks and later on some graphite powder and got both sides working well. If the car has power locks, its an easy add to put the remote door controls in the car. I've got the remotes on my which also opens the trunk. The location for the power locks from the factory at the bottom corner of the driver's side of the dash puts it where I occasionally hit it with my knee getting out of the car, locking the car when that happens, possibly causing some anxious moments.

I've found that the problem is the buildup of old grease in the tumbler that becomes hard. Start by getting a can of Brake Cleaner with a spout and stick it into the tumbler like you would your key. Spray for a couple of seconds and then use your key to turn the tumbler back and forth. Repeat until the key turns free, then spray with a good lock lubricant.

I've never seen the solenoid cause a problem like that, usually when they go bad they don't pull the plunger in and out far enough. If the lock button will move up and down easily by hand then the linkage is OK.

Edited by IndyJimW

I tried cleaning the tumblers with brake cleaner and it made no difference in the operation. The key goes in and starts to turn fine but then there is resistance, a lot I can get the p/s to work but the d/s in a no go. It feels like something is binding??