South bend dealers

bigdaddy

The build sheet on my '63 says " Rush Sold" & the destination is listed as South Bend (1) In. Does anybody out there know which dealer, this was sent to?

Certainly the biggest dealer in South Bend (maybe the only one in SB itself) was Newman & Altman. But that could also refer to a Stude Corporation storage lot where the buyer would pick the car up. However, in this latter case, the production order usuallywould also say "prepare for retail delivery"; in other words, the factory would do the prep work that a dealer would ordinarily do.

Wasn't Freeman-Spicer not only the bigger dealer in South Bend but the number one Studebaker dealer anywhere? Their former dealership was the original location of the Studebaker National Museum if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the response. I bought this car from the second owner. He said that it was only a few months old when he bought it in '63. He seemed to think that the original owner purchased it from the SB plant, but I don't know if that could be done. I was under the impression that Freeman Spicer was the largest dealer in SB, so I assumed possibly that the SB (1) on the build sheet was Freeman Spicer.

I'm no expert on Stude production orders, but I doubt that the SB(1) meant Freeman-Spicer. The production orders that I have seen for cars that were ordered by a specific dealer usually listed the name of the dealer, as well as the method of delivery. I think it's more likely that SB(1) was code for some particular storage lot or maybe the inspection line for special preparaton. And yes, VIPs could buy a car directly from the corporation. And anyone could order one through a dealer and pick it up themselves at the factory.