How to Add Shoulder Harness & Headrest?

BillCA63R1

I wish to install shoulder harnesses for the front seats of my '63 Avanti without drilling new holes in the "B" pillar for a three point belt system. Instead, I am looking at replacing the original lap belts with a four point restraint that attaches the shoulder straps to the existing mounting points of the rear seat lap belts. An example may be found in the link below:

Click here: SCHROTH RACING > Professional Racing Harnesses

Has anyone else rigged up a shoulder harness without having to alter the body?

I would also value having a headrest for whiplash protection. Is there an aftermarket headrest that might attach to the existing front seatbacks?

Thanks in Advance,

Bill R.

Bill

You idea certainly has merit but just a couple of thoughts. The 4/5 point harnesses have no give and are made to restrain you during racing events. They don't give much wiggle room as one motors down the highway. I installed a roll bar in my 54K and installed Sparco 4 point belts. They look great but for long trips, I'll change them back to 3 point when my Avanti fetish is over.

I just looked at my 74 which is stripped for painting. The upper belt mount is welded to the steel B pillar on the inside. However, the B pillar is covered by the stainless trim on the outside so a mount could be fabed and installed from the outside. Not a trivial exercise as I don't recall if I removed the cover before or after the rear vent window. Going from the outside would only require a small hole in the interior trim for the bolt.

If necessary, I can take a closer look as the 74 has no interior.

Just a couple of thoughts, Bob

FWIW, there are many BrandX seats which have integral three-point seat belts and a headrest. Plus, they can be had with electric adjusters, leather and heat. You might consider just bolting in a pair of those and saving your OEM seats if or when it becomes a show car/trailer queen.

Another FWIW, I'm 6'2" and when I installed the electric adjustable BrandX seats which allowed me to move back and recline enough to be really comfortable, it completely changed the feel of the car for the better. Amazing how the location of the H-point (hip joint) and head in relation to the center of gravity of the car really makes the same car feel different.

jack vines