Radiator Fan Hits Shroud

BillCA63R1

My new six bladed radiator fan could not be used because the blade tips are hitting the inside of the plastic fan shroud. This replacement fan measures 17 inches in diameter. Is that a correct size?

Another factor could be an aftermarket viscous coupling drive shaft that is too long, thus forcing the fan forward into a narrower part of the shroud...

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

17" is the standard size size with a 14" high performance fan as special order for R3 and R4 engines and the parts manual also lists a 7-blade 17" fan as special order for all engines. Whether any cars were actually factory equipped with those special order fans is unknown without documentation.

When I had a serpentine kit installed on my '70 the 17" stock fan would hit the shroud. I ended up going to a 15" fan but have since installed electric fans.

You may have to go to a smaller diameter fan. If both your original and new fan are a true 17" diameter, it may be the blade configuration that's causing the problem.

I just had the same problem with a 63 Avanti R2 restoration. It was not until I talked with Jon Myer that it was apparent that an Avanti II shroud came with the car, which had not run since 1977. Avanti II shrouds are not off-set to the passenger side to compensate for the motor off-set thus the fan would scrape on the right and slightly on the top and it is thinner than original 63 shroud. it will be replaced later but in the meantime a brace was fabricated and installed from the bolt holding the alternator in place over to the bottom side of the top of the shroud and the 4 lock washers used for the fan blade were reversed thus pulling the fan blade ever so closer to the water pump. If this sounds like it may be you problem, I'll sent pic later tomorrow. Also low profile motor mounts were used. Ken, Deltaville, Va

When I rebuilt my engine and put it back in... I had the same problem. Thinking that perhaps the new clutch I got from Dave Thibeault might be the problem, I did some checking and found out that I was missing the spacer under the left rear motor mount... plus I loosened the radiator bolts a bit and slid the radiator up a good 1/8" The new front motor mounts also probably raised my engine a bit... but by installing that spacer, part # 527974, the engine rocked down a bit in front & all is well...(I have not gotten it fired up yet, but I am sure it will clear OK). This spacer is shown on page 7 of the Avanti parts manual.