Air Conditioner Switches

kboyd

I need to replace the two Air Conditioner control switches mounted in the front console pannel of my 1983 Avanti. I have purchased replacement switches from Nostalgic and was wondering if anyone can tell me what I am up against in removing the front console pannel to gain access to the switches so I can swap them out? Are there other interior components that need to be remove first or is it a straight forward job of just taking out the console screws and pulling the console back to gain access? Also, do the control knobs that are mounted on the switches just pull off or is their some trick to removing them?

Removing the panel should be very straightforward. I would lay down some kind of padding so you don't scratch the console panel if it pulls away suddenly. Be careful pulling it away as wires might be pulled out inadvertently. The knobs could be either the pull off type or there may be a set screw through the side of the knob to be removed first. It depends on where Avanti Motors was sourcing the switches from at that time...one never knows what you might run into.