1964 Avanti Back up lights

Rudy

Hello, I own a 1964 Avanti and at the South Bend International event I was told my back up lights were not functioning. I have checked the bulbs and wires and all seems good. Is there a switch that I should be looking for? The fuses are all good, too? If you have any suggestions, I sure would appreciate any help I get.

Edited by Rudy

Did you use a test light to check the wiring? Do that with the shifter in reverse (engine off, switch on accessory) and see if the test light illuminates. If it does, the backup lights are getting power...maybe the bulbs have broken filaments, which sometimes can be difficult to see. The sockets could be losing ground contact...check the ground wires to make sure they're properly grounded. You can also use a test light probe to touch the contact in the socket to see if it's getting power as well as the wiring.

If you're not getting power in the wiring you should look to the backup light switch. It's located under the console by the shifter. It could be bad or out of adjustment. The shop manual should tell you how to take care of that.

The backup lights are on their own fuse circuit. Just looking at the fuse may not tell you it's good or bad...a break can be where it can't be seen near the end caps. Use the test light on both sides of the fuse clips while the shifter is in reverse...it will tell you if current is passing through the fuse. If it is, your backup switch is ok. If power is going in and not out you still have a good switch but a bad fuse. If there's no power going to the fuse then it must be the switch.

Edited by Gunslinger