Avanti wins over Rolls in Houston Monday night

Devildog

On Monday night I had a dinner meeting at Ouisis' Table in River Oaks (expensive Houston area) with a guy that is a big blow hard. He is a know it all, and flaunts his wealth (he has told me many times he pays the 15th highest home property tax in the county). He drivers a Rolls, usually something just a bit different. The valet parking guys usually park his Rolls right at the door so all see it.

Ouisis' is not the highest price eatery in Houston, but it has that River Oaks crowd that wants to see and be seen. I arrived in my Avanti (nothing special just clean 1975) before him and the valet captain took my keys. Big blow hard arrived 5 minutes after I was inside. We visited and concluded our agreement on how to work together on an export project (could have done it by phone in 5 minutes).

When we went outside, my Avanti was sitting in 'his' parking place at the door. He proceeded to tell me all about Avanti's and how rare and expensive they are. He was impressed and wondered who drove the Avanti to Ouisis. He said whoever drove that Avant was obviously a classy person and probably lived in 'his neighborhood" (River Oaks).

Just about that time, the valet captain gave me the keys and opened the door for me and said to Mr. big blow hard, "we are bringing your Rolls around". I started up the Avanti (it did start that time) and a couple of other people asked what it was and gave me compliments. As I pulled way, I ever so slightly chirped the tires.

That is just about perfect ! Mr. big blow hard has called twice about the export documents, but said nothing about the Avanti...even more perfect.

Joe

Edited by Devildog