'Avanti Gray" Color

Paul K.

My 63 Avanti’s original color is Avanti Gray. Portions of the car were repainted at some time but some panels, the door jambs and under the hood are original. These areas look like a more gray-blue color. Does this sound correct? Some color chips I have seen look similar, but some photos of cars including one recently on ebay look silver. One picture in an Avanti photo I have represents the Avanti Gray color as a silver with a hint of lavender and is iridescent. I plan on painting the car soon if I do not sell it as-is so I am trying to figure this out. Luckily, (or not) I have a partial qt. can of Studebaker factory pack Avanti Gray paint but the can has been opened and is 40 years old. I will try to spray out a test panel but with its age, who knows if it will be accurate.

Below is the link to the car advertised on ebay.

Paul Katson

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170875407020&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Edited by Paul K.

Paul, your correct.

I'm doing a 63 in the same color. What a tough time I had getting paint mixed. My local paint retailer spent about a hr on the phone with PPG, and the PPG rep spent a afternoon on researching the color and came back with the fomual to mix it.

Bob

Bob, thanks for the reply. What shade of gray does your sample look like? Does it look gray-blue or the silver with lavender? Would you happen to have a spray-out card or a portion of it that you could send me and/or pass on the formula?

paul,

will make 1 US Quart

SKU Description Inc.(part) Cum.(part)

DMC 983 CRS.ALUM 264.4 264.4

DMC 981 FINE ALUM 258.5 522.9

DMC 934 VIOLET 77.5 600.4

DMC 902 BLACK 42.4 642.8

DMC 904 RED SHADE PHTHALO BLUE 15.7 658.5

DMC 984 CLEAR 394.0 1052.5

PPG concept (DCC) paint.