1983 Avanti Brake Dash Light

tgipe

Does the 1983 Avanti (RQB 3636) have a pressure differential switch in the brake line system? What is the process for setting this switch in order to turn the light off. Will the fact that the light is on effect the braking? Note that this car has a Turner disk brake conversion kit.

Federal regs require the use of that light. That's it's illuminated means either the parking brake is on, there's a problem with the brakes or the switch is bad (to the best of knowledge it's non-adjustable). You should first make sure there is no problem with the hydraulic system...the fluid level in the master cylinder is proper, there are no leaks anywhere, etc. The parking brake could be out of adjustment and tripping its switch or it has a bad switch. That switch mounts on the parking brake lever. Avanti Motors used the handle assembly from the '68-'82 Corvette so the switch may well be the same.

If everything is physically ok, then change the differential switch. The problem is...if it's like the switch on my '70, it's long unavailable. I don't even know with what car it might interchange with. I once asked Jon Myer about it and he said it's been unavailable for like thirty years. If your '83 uses a different switch you may have a better chance of finding it. Again...if your car is like mine, there's a proportioning valve directly under the master cylinder where the brake lines from the master cylinder split off to the front and rear brakes. That block should be where the differential switch should be threaded into...there will be a wire attached.

I think your best bet is to contact Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors. He purchased all of Avanti Motors' parts inventory when they left South Bend for Youngstown, Ohio back in the '80s. If they were using a different switch by the time your '83 was built he may have one. If not, he may have a good used switch.

Federal regs require the use of that light. That's it's illuminated means either the parking brake is on, there's a problem with the brakes or the switch is bad (to the best of knowledge it's non-adjustable). You should first make sure there is no problem with the hydraulic system...the fluid level in the master cylinder is proper, there are no leaks anywhere, etc. The parking brake could be out of adjustment and tripping its switch or it has a bad switch. That switch mounts on the parking brake lever. Avanti Motors used the handle assembly from the '68-'82 Corvette so the switch may well be the same.

If everything is physically ok, then change the differential switch. The problem is...if it's like the switch on my '70, it's long unavailable. I don't even know with what car it might interchange with. I once asked Jon Myer about it and he said it's been unavailable for like thirty years. If your '83 uses a different switch you may have a better chance of finding it. Again...if your car is like mine, there's a proportioning valve directly under the master cylinder where the brake lines from the master cylinder split off to the front and rear brakes. That block should be where the differential switch should be threaded into...there will be a wire attached.

I think your best bet is to contact Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors. He purchased all of Avanti Motors' parts inventory when they left South Bend for Youngstown, Ohio back in the '80s. If they were using a different switch by the time your '83 was built he may have one. If not, he may have a good used switch.

If the valve is not defective it can be reset sometimes. The light comes on when there is a loss of pressure in either half of the system. the loss of pressure causes a plunger to ground out causing the light to come on. Sometimes bleeding the brakes causes the reaction. If you turn the key on so the light goes on you can sometimes get the plunger to travel in the opposite direction and back to the neutral spot by bleeding the brakes again. Opening the bleeder on the opposite side and a good firm push of the pedle usually works. Its a 50/50 chance you will get it on the fiirst try. If you don't, bleed the opposite end of the car the second time. I have a 1976 and there is a little pin on one end of the valve. I was able to reset mine by pushing on the pin but I know I have issues and will problably go with the turner set up soon. If you recently did work on either end of the car try bleeding the opposite end first, good luck.