Black Bymper

Rogerg

I recently purchased a 63 R1 (needing many repairs) with a black trimmed front bumper and sides. The H hood emblem is also black. I cannot tell from the build sheet if this configuration was an option or someone replaced the original items. The rear bumper is chrome. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The front bumper and side pieces were originally chrome like the rear bumper. It sounds like someone previously simply painted them rather than re-chrome them. The hood emblem should be chrome with a black plastic piece with either a silver or gold Studebaker "S".

Replacement bumper pieces can be found but costs can be all over the board depending on their condition. The hood emblem can be found as well and reproductions are available.

Did Avanti IIs use the black plastic hood piece? If so, it might be a "II" piece...(no "S").

If you want to go back to stock, early Avantis had gold "S" emblems...later they were silver. I believe the Studebaker International catalog gives the change over serial.

Early Avanti II's used the "S" hood piece blacked out...the same with the rear quarter emblems and the "Pirate's Buckles" on the door upholstery. At what point they stopped using them I don't know but I think it was sometime during the "RQA" run of cars.

Why Avanti Motors even used the parts makes little sense to me...they could have kept the parts for resale to Studebaker Avanti owners plus I think the car looks cleaner without them, but that's my opinion. I guess Nate Altman was still in the Studebaker state of mind when the early cars were built.

One of the problems with buying an old car (of whatever make and model) is often times it's impossible to figure out why previous owners did some things. I've found one of the most difficult things to deal with with older cars is undoing what previous owners have done. Sometimes what was done makes little sense or was a good idea poorly carried out. Regardless...it makes for headaches beyond the normal process of fixing the cars.

One of the problems with buying an old car (of whatever make and model) is often times it's impossible to figure out why previous owners did some things. I've found one of the most difficult things to deal with with older cars is undoing what previous owners have done. Sometimes what was done makes little sense or was a good idea poorly carried out. Regardless...it makes for headaches beyond the normal process of fixing the cars.

Back in Texas I had a friend restore a nice stock Jeep CJ-5 for me. He said the worst thing about restoring Jeeps was undoing PO's "improvements". Most are ill-conceived and poorly done. Avantis are now old enough to have the same problems.

Edited by J Boyle

• 2 weeks later...

The front bumper and side pieces were originally chrome like the rear bumper. It sounds like someone previously simply painted them rather than re-chrome them. The hood emblem should be chrome with a black plastic piece with either a silver or gold Studebaker "S".

Replacement bumper pieces can be found but costs can be all over the board depending on their condition. The hood emblem can be found as well and reproductions are available.

Thanks for the insight. The paint job on the front bumper was done very well, leaving some chrome showing. The hood insert is currently silver, even though the parts supplier says it should be gold. The inserts on the roof panels and interior are also silver. The car was repainted sometime in the distant past, a very thorough job, although it is showing its age badly.