Avanti Ignition Key

Guest dapy

Guest dapy

My new (1964) R2 came with one tired ignition key. Can't be copied because the local key maker did not have the correct blank. Ordered them from Studebaker International and those didn't work. Key shop did the research and special ordered the correct blanks. Now cut and work in my car. The key place had to order 10 blanks and I promised to see if I could help sell them. If you want one or two let me know by email and give me your USPS address. $5 each in the mail. Low risk, great reward. Dave Pyle • dap8@comcast.net

Edited by dapy

My new (1964) R2 came with one tired ignition key. Can't be copied because the local key maker did not have the correct blank. Ordered them from Studebaker International and those didn't work. Key shop did the research and special ordered the correct blanks. Now cut and work in my car. The key place had to order 10 blanks and I promised to see if I could help sell them. If you want one or two let me know by email and give me your USPS address. $5 each in the mail. Low risk, great reward. Dave Pyle • dap8@comcast.net

Sent you an email Dave. I will take two blanks...Mike

Just so you know for sure, Studebaker used two different key blanks...early and late. The official dividing point was the famous R4892. The blanks are of two different lengths and appearances. Make sure of which you use. Even an early or late car could have a different style from what it's supposed to if the ignition switch has been replaced. The '63 R1 I used to own had the late style switch and key when I purchased the car so it must have been replaced at some point prior to my ownership. My '70 Avanti has the early switch and key, but I installed that due to the existing switch in it being bad when I bought it.

Guest dapy

Just so you know for sure, Studebaker used two different key blanks...early and late. The official dividing point was the famous R4892. The blanks are of two different lengths and appearances. Make sure of which you use. Even an early or late car could have a different style from what it's supposed to if the ignition switch has been replaced. The '63 R1 I used to own had the late style switch and key when I purchased the car so it must have been replaced at some point prior to my ownership. My '70 Avanti has the early switch and key, but I installed that due to the existing switch in it being bad when I bought it.

Guest dapy

Then I probably have both 'styles': those with the 'S' logo, and those that fit my ignition (which looks original). My car is R4888. Anyone who wants each send me an email...

Dave Pyle • dap8@comcast.net