1969 Avanti II Disc Brakes

Dwayne

My front drivers side brake needs serious attention and figure a new Rotor and pads.

Does anyone know part numbers that I could get from places like Lordco.

Live in White Rock, BC Canada right next to our bigger brother Surrey.

Regards

Dwayne

You're not going to find a rotor at any local parts supplier...unless they have some original Studebaker rotors still sitting around. You're going to have to contact Myer's Studebaker, Studebaker International or Nostalgic Motors for one...new rotors have become available through their efforts within the last few years and they cost $200 US each. If you order a new rotor go ahead and order pads from them at the same time...they're about $35-$40 a set.

To be honest...the best way to go is buy the Turner Conversion Kit...a complete kit including new and more modern parts...calipers, rotors, pads, hoses, bearings, etc. It's everything but the labor to install it all. Your leftover parts that are still good can be resold to offset some of the costs of the new kit. I'm not knocking the original design, but it's simply more cost effective than buying replacement original type parts.

You're not going to find a rotor at any local parts supplier...unless they have some original Studebaker rotors still sitting around. You're going to have to contact Myer's Studebaker, Studebaker International or Nostalgic Motors for one...new rotors have become available through their efforts within the last few years and they cost $200 US each. If you order a new rotor go ahead and order pads from them at the same time...they're about $35-$40 a set.

To be honest...the best way to go is buy the Turner Conversion Kit...a complete kit including new and more modern parts...calipers, rotors, pads, hoses, bearings, etc. It's everything but the labor to install it all. Your leftover parts that are still good can be resold to offset some of the costs of the new kit. I'm not knocking the original design, but it's simply more cost effective than buying replacement original type parts.

What Gunslinger said.

The Turner conversion is the absolute best way to go. Greatly improves stopping performance.

The instructions could not be easier - everything is labeled.

Well worth the investment.

PA

• 3 weeks later...

Will the Avanti with Magnum 500 wheels fit the turner brake conversion?? Im going to do this conversion and have heard rumors that the magnum 500 wheel will not fit over the caliper...

Its not a bad deal considering i would spend 400 dollars on just the rotors.

What Gunslinger said.

The Turner conversion is the absolute best way to go. Greatly improves stopping performance.

The instructions could not be easier - everything is labeled.

Well worth the investment.

PA

The answer to whether Magnum 500's will fit with the Turner conversion kit is an unequivocal...maybe. Hate to say that but I found out the cause of this occasional issue with Magnum 500's when I installed the Turner kit on my car.

After the Turner kit was put on and the Magnums reinstalled, the calipers were scraping. We tried swapping the front and rear tires and rims and no more problem. It turns out that two of my Magnum 500's had about a 3/8" difference in offset and that made the difference...and all rims are 15"x6". Apparently when Avanti Motors ordered rims from their vendor back in the day they might be shipped rims from different manufacturing lots with slightly different offsets. As long as they fit and cleared the Bendix/Dunlop calipers Avanti Motors had no reason to check offsets.

That's why some owners of cars with both Magnum 500's and the Turner kit have reported of clearance issues. All it takes is a little judicious grinding on the caliper to solve the problem if your rims have too little clearance. It's not a deal killer...just a minor inconvenience you might experience.

Cool!! All I wanted to know! I dont want to order this conversion if i will have to turn and spend 1000 in wheels as well. haha then it would be cheaper to just keep stock brakes! Im looking at ordering the kit very soon.... Seems well worth the money!!!