How many of our generation Avantis were produced?

Jim Baize

I know we have batted this around before. To the best of my ability to investigate and figure out, there were about 90 4-door Avantis made.

How many of our generation (2001-2006 – are these even the right years of the newest GM drive train Avantis?) were produced.

I am thinking around 50. Any other guesses.

Also, I have a few sets of tail light lenses still available for the GM-based Avanti of this era. They were produced from an original set by a company that specializes in collectable car lenses/parts.

I just had a seat repair made and I'm getting a paint job in the next couple of weeks.

The 2003 is a daily driver, though garaged at night. At work the right side of my car is exposed to pretty intense afternoon sun, hence, the need for paint.

Of course there are the usual scratches, chips, and stress fracture or two or three.

I still love driving my Avanti!

Took it to LA and back this week...people were mesmerized by it!

Jim Baize

2003 Avanti Convertible

Formerly owned by Alice Cooper

According to John Hull's book on the subject, there were approximately 91 Avantis assembled from 2001-2006...the exact number isn't confirmed. There were 53 built in the GM F-body chassis from 2001-2004 and the balance were on the Mustang platform, and that's where the unconfirmed number is. GM stopped producing the F-body after the 2002 model year so Avanti Motors must have purchased enough to last for two more model years while they secured a new platform and made the necessary engineering changes.

I'm guessing your drivers seat needs repaired on the left side bolster where you slide in and out...that's where my car has wear. GM didn't exactly use the best grades of leather for car production. A buddy with a 2004 Corvette has wear in the exact same spot.

Hey Gunslinger,

Yep. Left bolster. The leather was from Katzskin. Glad I had the build sheet! I was able to get a couple of small pieces. Didn't have to buy a half a hide!

Going to pick it up today. Can't wait to see it. I have driven it with a 3 in slit for the last 3 or so years.

So 50 on the GM platform is a pretty close guess, huh?

Jim

The upholsterer told me that the leather on my car was not from GM but was aftermarket.

That would sync with the fact my build sheet says"Katzkin Sandstone."

The repair is beautiful. Can't tell any difference except the other leather is dirtier/faded a little.

Good as new.

Jim

Edited by Preacher Jim

Guest Bob Mac

I know we have batted this around before. To the best of my ability to investigate and figure out, there were about 90 4-door Avantis made.

How many of our generation (2001-2006 – are these even the right years of the newest GM drive train Avantis?) were produced.

I am thinking around 50. Any other guesses.

Also, I have a few sets of tail light lenses still available for the GM-based Avanti of this era. They were produced from an original set by a company that specializes in collectable car lenses/parts.

I just had a seat repair made and I'm getting a paint job in the next couple of weeks.

The 2003 is a daily driver, though garaged at night. At work the right side of my car is exposed to pretty intense afternoon sun, hence, the need for paint.

Of course there are the usual scratches, chips, and stress fracture or two or three.

I still love driving my Avanti!

Took it to LA and back this week...people were mesmerized by it!

Jim Baize

2003 Avanti Convertible

Formerly owned by Alice Cooper

I have been told by the first owner of my 2006 Avanti that they made 17 (mustang) units.

Thanks

Mac