Transition Models

Jed

It seems that there are "things" that are original to a particular car that aren't covered on the build sheet. Now to explain their existence they are slipped into the umbrella term "Transition Model". Is there a range of #'s that cover the "transition" models??? Or, how can you ID "factory installed" as opposed to previous owner applied during restoration????

Thanks for your comments.

Edited by Jed

I think the term "transition" models refers to the Studebaker Avanti's classified as being round headlight models built with some parts generally thought of as being '64 model year. I've seen numbers ranging from about 30-80 true transition cars...I don't know if anyone really knows for sure what an actual number might be as not all those transition cars will have all the same '64 style parts.

I would think in general, a true transition car would have come from the factory with round headlights and at least some of the following '64 type parts:

- serial number within 30-80 cars prior to R4892 (considered first true '64 model)

- wood grain dash and console inlays

- '63 style winged vent controls with the 4-slot wood grain console panel rather than '64 type 5-slot model with ball type controls

- wood grain steering wheel

- "Pirates buckle" trim on inside upper door panels

- modified inner fender panel with group 24 battery in place of long 3EE battery

- hood support on right side instead of left

- stone guard grille covering radiator opening

- inside door handles and door lock levers being changed from '63 style

- rear wing window locking levers changed from '63 style

- center console compartment hinge changed to piano hinge design

- rear package shelf changed from removable access door to piano hinge design

I think those would be the major pieces to look for in a true transition model. There's likely more small items that would have been installed as running changes. It's not at all uncommon to see many of these changes retrofitted to earlier cars, either by a dealer or owner. Some earlier items may be found on later cars depending on replacement availability or desires of owners.

The big tipoff for a transition model would the serial number of the car. If late parts are found on a car earlier than about eighty numbers from R4892, it wouldn't be a real transition model...just a car retrofitted with later parts.

Edited by Gunslinger

Aa usual, Gunslinger has the correct details.

Over the years various Avanti owners have tried to pass off modifications as being factory original transition cars.

There is a tech letter in the latest Avanti magaizine (#157) and in his reply, Jon Myers sets the record straight.

Recently there was a guy on the internet trying to sell his car as a "1962" Avanti (no such thing) but his serial number indicated it was built late in the the 63 model year.

It always pays to do your homework so you don't get stuck with a lot of neat stories but no proof. :)

I've always found this chart handy.

http://www.theavanti.com/production.html

Edited by J Boyle