Yard find Avanti...

Gunslinger

Last week a friend told me of an Avanti just sitting in a yard that he spotted on his way back and forth to work...not far from me. I went out and found it...it's a '63 R1 automatic with a/c, power windows, power steering. It's in pretty rough shape...restorable but maybe not economically so. The body needs work as does the interior (dash, carpets, non-original bucket seats). It was difficult to see under the car but the hog troughs seemed solid when I rapped them with my knuckle and saw no rust on the frame. The tubular crossmember was solid though covered with rust.

With the issues I saw the car seems essentially complete...just in need of a complete restoration. As I said, it's probably not cost-effective to do so unless you can do much of the work yourself.

I talked to the fellow who owned the place...he's 87 years old and I spent an enjoyable hour or more listening to his life story and WWII experiences. The Avanti actually belongs to his niece and would like to sell it. I don't know what she wants for it.

Besides the Avanti, he has two garages with Lincolns, Cadillacs and Packards! All are for sale. He owns four Packards...a 1950, '51, '54 and a '56 Caribbean convertible but that's stored elsewhere.

If anyone is interested in any of these cars please feel free to contact me and I can forward photos I took plus the contact information of the old gentleman. The cars are located near Frederick, MD. If anyone is going to York next week, they're welcome to come here and I can take you there.

• 2 weeks later...

hey,

im new to the site here, but i am kind of intrigued by this avanti you came across... I have just started looking for an avanti project.

If you have time could you send me a few of the photos to my email if it is still sitting out for sale.. Im out of WI so its kind of a long shot with not being able to see it in person and im sure shipping prices would be a pretty penny... But maybe for the right price it could be saved yet??..

Thanks for your time, Doug

my email is ridinlow87@new.rr.com

Last week a friend told me of an Avanti just sitting in a yard that he spotted on his way back and forth to work...not far from me. I went out and found it...it's a '63 R1 automatic with a/c, power windows, power steering. It's in pretty rough shape...restorable but maybe not economically so. The body needs work as does the interior (dash, carpets, non-original bucket seats). It was difficult to see under the car but the hog troughs seemed solid when I rapped them with my knuckle and saw no rust on the frame. The tubular crossmember was solid though covered with rust.

With the issues I saw the car seems essentially complete...just in need of a complete restoration. As I said, it's probably not cost-effective to do so unless you can do much of the work yourself.

I talked to the fellow who owned the place...he's 87 years old and I spent an enjoyable hour or more listening to his life story and WWII experiences. The Avanti actually belongs to his niece and would like to sell it. I don't know what she wants for it.

Besides the Avanti, he has two garages with Lincolns, Cadillacs and Packards! All are for sale. He owns four Packards...a 1950, '51, '54 and a '56 Caribbean convertible but that's stored elsewhere.

If anyone is interested in any of these cars please feel free to contact me and I can forward photos I took plus the contact information of the old gentleman. The cars are located near Frederick, MD. If anyone is going to York next week, they're welcome to come here and I can take you there.