tacho problem

davepink53

Hi. I have a problem with the tacho in my '71 Avanti2. when i turn the ignition on, the tacho goes to the extreme. as I crank the engine it drops to minimum then when the engine fires, it reads maximum the whole time. I believe that the car should have electronic ignition but is running points and condenser. Could this have anything to do with it?

Thanks in advance.

Dave...

There should be a tach sending unit under the dash...it may have gone bad. It should be a square plastic box attached on the steel brace by the steering column...or in that area. It will have several wires attached. A couple of the vendors that advertise in Avanti Magazine can rebuild it or supply a new circuit board and you can do it yourself. It's possible yours has a flat, round can sending unit that Studebaker used but that should have been phased out long before your car was built...but never say never.

I doubt if whether the car has points or electronic ignition matters, though some cars have a tach filter mounted inline which can cause problems. I'm not aware of Avanti Motors ever installing one but again...anything's possible.

Thanks for that Gunslinger. I am thinking that there is a new one of those in the spares parts that came with the car. Square plastic box about 3" x 3" x 1" I will have a look tonight. Could be an easy fix. ( That will be a first ) :rolleyes:

Dave...

Thanks for that Gunslinger. I am thinking that there is a new one of those in the spares parts that came with the car. Square plastic box about 3" x 3" x 1" I will have a look tonight. Could be an easy fix. ( That will be a first ) :rolleyes:

Dave...

If it works out ok, it will be a first. One thing I've learned and had to accept with Avantis is that NOTHING ever goes easy. It usually seems to take two or three times before something is fixed and operates properly.

If it works out ok, it will be a first. One thing I've learned and had to accept with Avantis is that NOTHING ever goes easy. It usually seems to take two or three times before something is fixed and operates properly.

The part I have is not new. Perhaps the original owner already changed the unit. I had a look under the dash, but because it has been converted to RHC nothing is correct. I can't even find the sender unit. It must be tucked away somewhere,but?

Dave...