Who knew, 3spd Avanti built Aug 26 '63

Project Avanti

I had heard that at some point Studebaker stopped putting 3 speed transmissions in Avanti's.

My '64(?) came from the factory with a 3spd which the P.O. overlooked when he advertised the

car as a '64 R1 4spd. Using information from the build sheet, obtained from the SNM, this car

came with no power steering or power windows. It also lists 14 813 BKV, I assume is black

vinyl interior. I thought I had a rare car, opinions welcome. Thanks

You do have a rare car...very few Avantis came with the base 3-speed manual...maybe as few as about thirty. This is a case though, where rare doesn't translate into value. You have two choices...either accept it for what it is and enjoy it as such or make changes...swap in a 4-speed or even add a 5-speed, add power steering and whatever other convenience items you want and enjoy it that way.

Non-power windows is not a real issue...Avanti power windows have been troublesome over the years. Power steering can be added if it's a big issue for you. Personally, I would give serious consideration to converting the car to a 5-speed Tremec...not really inexpensive but would transform the car's performance and fuel economy.

The truth is...you have a base Avanti. You won't be really hurting its value by making the changes. Few purists want a base car...it's a good platform for modifying. The value of the car can even be enhanced with well thought out and well done modifications.

Others may disagree with me...I can appreciate a well done and maintained stock car as much as anyone. A base car simply doesn't have the value of more highly optioned cars and is a good candidate for modifications and improvements.

Sort of contradicts what I thought I knew. If you'd asked me, I'd have said the first dozen or so Avanti came with the 3-speed and after that the 4-speed was standard. Does this mean the 3-speed was always the base transmission and the 4-speed was always an extra cost option? Was the low number the total of all 3-speed cars built over the two year run?

Anyone else ever seen a late-build 3-speed Avanti?

jack vines

Ditto to everything just said.. :)

It appears that there were more 3-speed transmissions installed by the factory than I thought...in the Production Data booklet put out by the SNM Archives, it states there were 67 factory equipped 3-speed cars for the 1963 model year and 11 for the '64 model year for a combined total of 78 factory equipped as such. I see no listing of the last 3-speed car built but the 3-speed was still available for 1964. The first 3-speed car was 63R-1138, or the 138th Avanti built.

It makes sense for Studebaker to keep the 3-speed manual as least nominally available to maintain the $4445 base MSRP for the car. The 4-speed and automatic transmissions were always considered extra cost options.

While I have seen no evidence to back this up, I would imagine most and maybe all, 3-speed Avantis were dealer spec rather than special ordered by customers. It seems unlikely for someone interested enough in a performance car like the Avanti would purposely order it with a 3-speed rather than a 4-speed or automatic.

Edited by Gunslinger

Thanks for the info. After fifty years of reading about this stuff, I didn't know the 3-speed was always the base transmission and was installed right up til the end.

I can't imagine anyone buying a 3-speed rather than a 4-speed. The 3-speed is slower, clunkier, doesn't have synchro low gear and entirely inappropriate to the car.

How much extra did Stude gouge for the 4-speed option?

jack vines

It appears that there were more 3-speed transmissions installed by the factory than I thought...in the Production Data booklet put out by the SNM Archives, it states there were 67 factory equipped 3-speed cars for the 1963 model year and 11 for the '64 model year for a combined total of 78 factory equipped as such. I see no listing of the last 3-speed car built but the 3-speed was still available for 1964. The first 3-speed car was 63R-1138, or the 138th Avanti built.

It makes sense for Studebaker to keep the 3-speed manual as least nominally available to maintain the $4445 base MSRP for the car. The 4-speed and automatic transmissions were always considered extra cost options.

While I have seen no evidence to back this up, I would imagine most and maybe all, 3-speed Avantis were dealer spec rather than special ordered by customers. It seems unlikely for someone interested enough in a performance car like the Avanti would purposely order it with a 3-speed rather than a 4-speed or automatic.

For 1963 the cost for a 4-speed was $188.30 and $210.00 for the Power Shift. For 1964 models the 4-speed was $189.00 with the choice of the standard 4-speed or a close-ratio model. The Power Shift went up $10.00 to $220.00.

I agree...why would anyone want a 3-speed non-synchronized transmission but it was probably for maintaining the base price of the car at a lower price point. There's probably far more markup in the options than the base cost of the car itself.

You do have a rare car...very few Avantis came with the base 3-speed manual...maybe as few as about thirty. This is a case though, where rare doesn't translate into value. You have two choices...either accept it for what it is and enjoy it as such or make changes...swap in a 4-speed or even add a 5-speed, add power steering and whatever other convenience items you want and enjoy it that way.

Non-power windows is not a real issue...Avanti power windows have been troublesome over the years. Power steering can be added if it's a big issue for you. Personally, I would give serious consideration to converting the car to a 5-speed Tremec...not really inexpensive but would transform the car's performance and fuel economy.

The truth is...you have a base Avanti. You won't be really hurting its value by making the changes. Few purists want a base car...it's a good platform for modifying. The value of the car can even be enhanced with well thought out and well done modifications.

Others may disagree with me...I can appreciate a well done and maintained stock car as much as anyone. A base car simply doesn't have the value of more highly optioned cars and is a good candidate for modifications and improvements.

Thanks Gunslinger, learned something today. Also agree with your proposed change in transmissions. Currently the car is

a basket case that needs everything. Just a note, I see no way of replacing the 3spd without pulling the engine forward

about 6 inches, as compared to the 4spd which is easily removed with the engine in place. Merry Christmas to all and

thanks for your replies.

Interestingly, the most perfect and high-dollar pure restoration ever done on an Avanti was a base car featured last year in Classic Car. It's what the owner had, so he spent more than ten years and probably $100k on it. Since it is a trailer queen, the transmission is immaterial. As far as rarity goes, the 3-speed is probably only second to R3s in the low production numbers of that power train combination. That is, unless someone totally clueless bought an R2 3-speed.

jack vines

A completely correct or original car certainly does have value in and of itself. To my way of thinking, the best reason for a completely correct restoration or a completely original car is not simply for its presumed extra value, but for its value as an educational aid...to educate future restorers or the public in general how the cars were originally built and how the factory intended them to appear. That's not dependent on the car's option level. Whether that value conveys to actual monetary value is a completely different thing and very dependent on the free market. Studebakers in general and Avantis in particular don't normally bring much money in the free market, but can bring big dollars when compared within the Studebaker and Avanti community. Big dollars to the Stude and Avanti people can be a far different thing compared to big dollars to other makes within the car hobby world.

Anything other than an R1 would have had to be equipped with a 4-speed or Power Shift...it was mandatory. If one could have slipped by...that could be another matter but none occurred according to the SNM Avanti production data.