Rad overflow bottle

davepink53

Hi all. We are going to fit a SI radiator overflow kit to my sons '63 R1 Avanti. There are no instructions with the kit. Has anyone got a picture of one fitted. Where does the bottle mount etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Dave. :rolleyes:

Here's a picture of one on an R2 Avanti that I captured at a meet in the same location metnioned above ....

DSCN1400.jpg

okc, thank you for the photo. I was trying to work out how to mount it over near the battery. Now I understand. I guess the it would be the same for my '71, when I get around to it.

Dave...

My R1 is stock and doesn't have one.

Are they needed?

There's been some debate about whether overflow reservoirs are actually needed. Basically, if you have a car that runs fine and doesn't overheat an overflow bottle isn't really necessary. If your car runs hot when the coolant is kept at the proper level and pukes coolant out the overflow hose, your car may well do better with an overflow bottle. First you need to determine why the engine is puking coolant...bad (or incorrect) radiator cap, restricted cooling passages or radiator, bad thermostat, loose fan belts, etc. If everything is OK as far as the engine and cooling system goes, then you need to know if the engine is in proper tune. If the timing is wrong that can certainly affect engine temps.

Once you know that the car itself is OK and the engine still pukes coolant, then maybe an overflow tank is useful. Once coolant is lost through an overflow tube it doesn't come back and cooling efficiency is lost, though you've saved a hose or worse from bursting from too much pressure. It can be as simple as too much coolant was present in the system and simple expansion created the puking. That's simply the system finding its own proper level and no problem is indicated.

Essentially...if your stock car is experiencing no cooling issues, there's no reason to change anything.

Essentially...if your stock car is experiencing no cooling issues, there's no reason to change anything.

The only problem we are having with the '63 is the expansion tank leaking again after having it rebuilt not long ago. I am thinking of changing my '71 because the tank is knocked around a fair bit and looks ugly. I thought change it before it does leak.

Dave...

If you don't have an overflow bottle and you occasionally find small puddles of coolant (antifreeze aka: mixture of ethylene glycol & diethylene glycol) and have pets (dogs or cats) you might want to get an overflow bottle.

Antifreeze has a sweet taste and some animals are attracted to it but it is poisonous. Here's the warning from MSDS sheet:

Clear, green liquid with a mild, sweet odor. Eye and upper respiratory irritant. May cause nausea, vomiting, headache, drowsiness, blurred vision, convulsions, coma or death if ingested or inhaled. Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis or skin sensitization.