Electric cooling fan

CommanderToasty

I sure would like to get that big orange five bladed monster off the front of my water pump, but the Avanti needs all the cooling it can get. Has anybody had luck with an electric cooling fan? I haven't tried one in years and they used to be feeble, but I see them on a lot of cars now and I think they are much improved. Still it would have to be as good or better than the stock fan. I have AC so I suspect mine would mount on the rear and pull air through.

I just recently had an electric fan installed on my '70 and so far...it works great. It's a Flex-a-lite model 188 and it's rated at moving 3300 cfm. The speed shop that installed it had a few minor issues as the angle the GM engine sits made for little clearance at the bottom, but worked. They also had to fabricate brackets so it looks like a factory installation rather than adapted. They also installed rubber seals around it to make sure all the air drawn in goes through the radiator and not around it.

I can't say how different the installation might be with a Stude engine...it sits at a different angle, but it's probably little different.

Combine the electric fan with the Saturn air deflector under the front end and it makes a big difference in maintaining temperature. If you're not concerned about correctness both are excellent modifications.

Here's a pic of the installation in my car...

P1030773.jpg

I use the two-speed electric fan from the Dodge Viper on my Hawk and my C-cab pickup. Since it cools 500hp in a smaller space, it will cool anything Studebaker. I'll have to measure the Avanti, but I think the Viper fan will probably fit. If it will, I've got a new-in-box unit on the shelf I'd sell at my cost.

jack vines

I use the two-speed electric fan from the Dodge Viper on my Hawk and my C-cab pickup. Since it cools 500hp in a smaller space, it will cool anything Studebaker. I'll have to measure the Avanti, but I think the Viper fan will probably fit. If it will, I've got a new-in-box unit on the shelf I'd sell at my cost.

jack vines

I'd certainly be interested, please let me know how the measurement checks out.