New guy, new car

rsciolino

I am new to the club and just purchased my first Avanti. It is a 1981 with a leather interior and sunroof, and has 32,000 documented miles. It was a barn find and has sat in storage for 20 years. The car is 100% complete and has had no modifications I have been a car guy for years and have always been interested in these cars but never owned or driven one.

I guess the first thing i need is a service manual and point me in the direction of the club recommended vendors. Any ideas?

I am new to the club and just purchased my first Avanti. It is a 1981 with a leather interior and sunroof, and has 32,000 documented miles. It was a barn find and has sat in storage for 20 years. The car is 100% complete and has had no modifications I have been a car guy for years and have always been interested in these cars but never owned or driven one.

I guess the first thing i need is a service manual and point me in the direction of the club recommended vendors. Any ideas?

Welcome

The easiest answer is http://www.studebakervendors.com/ but the two I use are Nostalgic Motors in Wixom, Mi and Studebaker International (SI) in Indiana.

The newer ones, like yours, Mine is an 83 have several nice upgrades for driving comfort. The engine, as you know, is a stock 80-81 Chevy 305 small block with all the emissions and other controls of the era. Not a bad motor, dependable as heck but not a performance engine.

I'd also suggest that you join the Studebaker Drivers Club Forum. http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/ Many more members with a ton of knowledge that here although there is a ton of knowledge here. Also join the Avanti and Studebaker Drivers club as a member. Low cost and great publications. That helps to fund these forums.

Lastly, get it up on a hoist and access the frame and hog troughs as they are the weak link in these cars. Then go over the suspension to access condition and if all is well, Drive the wheels off of it. They are great fun to drive and an attention getter.

OH YAH!!!! By the way, it didn't happen without pictures.

Bob

Edited by Avanti83

The December 1963 edition of the Avanti parts manual would be worth buying. They are available in reprint and CD, and originals come up on ebay all the time. Avanti Motors continued to change the Avanti every year after 1964, but there is still plenty of Stude content in your 83's body and running gear. The engine and transmission, of course, are covered well by an 83 Chevy chassis manual. Unfortunately for all of us, Avanti Motors sourced many other things like switches, steering columns, and many other systems from a variety of sources -- and their origin is sometimes hard to determine. Wiring harnesses were made by hand by a lady with a pattern marked out on a piece of plywood, and no two seem to be exactly the same. As noted above, Nostalgic Motors is the closest thing we have to a factory warehouse. They bought most of the surplus Avanti parts, and are probably the only place who will be able to tell you how your car was built and with what it was equipped. Stude Intl owns the Stude parts inventory and is the best place to go on items you know are still original Avanti items.

Good luck with your car.

Wow. thanks for all of the info! This seems like it is going to be a fun time and can not wait to get the car on the lift and assess the vehicle. It also looks like i just missed the national meet in PA.

I am going to fully document every step of the way and hopefully I too will be a source of valuable info. Now i have two questions that I can not find the answers to anywhere...

What were the color combos for 1981?

How the heck to you open the trunk? I can not find a release anywhere.

<br>Wow. thanks for all of the info! This seems like it is going to be a fun time and can not wait to get the car on the lift and assess the vehicle. It also looks like i just missed the national meet in PA. <br><br>I am going to fully document every step of the way and hopefully I too will be a source of valuable info. Now i have two questions that I can not find the answers to anywhere...<br><br>What were the color combos for 1981? <br>How the heck to you open the trunk? I can not find a release anywhere.<br>

Open the glove box, there is a button on the left inside by the light. If that fails, you need to open the hinged shelf under the rear window and reach the latch with a long flat blade screw driver and turn the latch mechanism. Put a light in there and it will be obvious.By this time in Avanti's life, you could pick any color available by any manufacture. I have an original Avanti II sales brochure and no mention of exterior nor interior color other than the availability of solid or dual colored interior leather.

Bob

Edited by Avanti83

There is no set color code for the 1981's. The factory painted them any automotive color you requested.

The trunk release is a "T" handle, inside the car on the drivers side, near the floor at the back seat.

George

RQB 1600