Ash tray dimensions

okc63avanti

Can someone out there with a 63 Avanti measure the opening that the ash tray fits into under the flip up cover on the console in front of the console storage. This is the ash tray next to the cigar lighter.

I need length x width x depth of ash tray bucket that pulls out and also the approx. depth from bottom of cover when closed to top of ash tray. I am not a smoker and I am considering removing the ash tray (leaving the cigar lighter) and using that spot to install the small two button control for an electronic speed control. Here's a pic of the type of speed control button unit I am thinking about.

Rostacruisecontrol.jpg

Another possibility might be replacing the turn signal lever, but I have no idea what the original turn signal mounts to inside the column, threaded, pinned, etc. and what its dimensions are. My avanti is 1000 miles away under restoration right now so any input from you guys would be helpful.

Leverthreaded.jpgleverpin.jpg

Can someone out there with a 63 Avanti measure the opening that the ash tray fits into under the flip up cover on the console in front of the console storage. This is the ash tray next to the cigar lighter.

I need length x width x depth of ash tray bucket that pulls out and also the approx. depth from bottom of cover when closed to top of ash tray. I am not a smoker and I am considering removing the ash tray (leaving the cigar lighter) and using that spot to install the small two button control for an electronic speed control. Here's a pic of the type of speed control button unit I am thinking about.

Rostacruisecontrol.jpg

Another possibility might be replacing the turn signal lever, but I have no idea what the original turn signal mounts to inside the column, threaded, pinned, etc. and what its dimensions are. My avanti is 1000 miles away under restoration right now so any input from you guys would be helpful.

Leverthreaded.jpgleverpin.jpg

These measurements are for the opening and not the ash receiver. 2 1/2 by 1 7/8 and 4 inches deep. 3/8" from bottom of cover to opening when closed.

These measurements are for the opening and not the ash receiver. 2 1/2 by 1 7/8 and 4 inches deep. 3/8" from bottom of cover to opening when closed.

Thanks very much ... now I will contact the cruise control manufacturer and get the dimensions of the 2 button control unit.

Thanks Regnalbob .... I haven't heard back from Rostra yet but found the dimensions of the Rostra 250-3592 Switch by google searching and an Amazon site selling it listed the dimensions as 2"(Width)x 1-1/2"(Height)x 3/8"(Depth. This will fit nicely in the opening mounted in a plate or perhaps even inside the ashtray bucket with a little engineering.

In addition I found a web post from someone who installed the exact same unit and switch inside a console ashtray in an Austin Healey. This web link has detail instruction and pictures on all the throttle linkage and other aspects of installing a cruise control.

My link

I am going to have Mike Meyer do this on my Avanti has I will never personally use an ash tray for its intended purpose nor once my car is restored while anyone be allowed to smoke in or around it.

I will have him take pictures of the install so we can document it for others who may be interested in trying this.