Avanti Brake Question

rdmaxon

In this month's Avanti magazine,[spring/Summer 2010],in Bill Henderson's excellent brake conversion article said he looped his front brake line for safety. I've never heard of this. I'm making this same conversion and would like to hear more about how looping the line adds to safety. Do I loop both lines from the master cylinder to the junction block or only the line that powers the front brakes? Thanks.

RD Maxon

I have seen that many times and always wondered what the reason was for. I did a web search and here's what I found (from a Ford forum)...

"The line will vibrate with any movement or vibration from road or engine. The longer the line is straight the more the vibration is amplified. The loop reduces the vibration where it screws into the master cylinder. If you don't put loops in it is likely that you will crack a line where it is flared at the master cylinder. It also helps to have a dampening coil wrapped around the tubing where it is looped."

I've been running un-looped for years with no issues at all. On cars or trucks that have a lot of frame flex maybe it's an issue but unless you are really skilled at 'looping' you might cause more problems than you would have un-looped i.e. kinks and areas of contact that can rub through. I don't recall any loops in the factory installation.

IMHO.

ErnieR