A/C servicing 1967 Avanti II

Ryunker

Is the system empty, or just low? Do you know where is it leaking?

R-12 has become extremely hard to locate, and very expensive. To add R-12 to a leaking system can get pretty expensive. That said, the best way to service the system requires a set of A/C gauges. If the system is very low or empty, the dryer should be changed and the system vacuumed before charging the system.

If you're just looking to "top off" the system, clean off the sight glass on top of the dryer and watch the R-12 as you run the system with the engine at fast idle. There should be a few bubbles visible in the R-12. If there are a lot of bubbles, hook up your servicing hose to the LOW pressure side fitting and add the R-12 until most of the bubbles disappear.

I have the system empty, it did have 15 PSI still in there, but put it in a deep vacuum 18 hours and it held since first post until now, did not even drop 1 inch. Seems as if it is leak proofed.

I just went out and re-checked for a sight glass, the dryer is along side of the condensor behind the grill. No sight glass, also tracked the lines from the firewall to the compressor and condensor and none found either. Any body have a service manual spec for the amount of refrigerant?

Lastly, I still have 7 lbs of Dupont R-12 to service the system, and that is the end of my stash, I really don't want to waste it.

Please help.

Rich

Is the system empty, or just low? Do you know where is it leaking?

R-12 has become extremely hard to locate, and very expensive. To add R-12 to a leaking system can get pretty expensive. That said, the best way to service the system requires a set of A/C gauges. If the system is very low or empty, the dryer should be changed and the system vacuumed before charging the system.

If you're just looking to "top off" the system, clean off the sight glass on top of the dryer and watch the R-12 as you run the system with the engine at fast idle. There should be a few bubbles visible in the R-12. If there are a lot of bubbles, hook up your servicing hose to the LOW pressure side fitting and add the R-12 until most of the bubbles disappear.

Not to highjack this thread, but does anyone have a recommendation for a web site or book that could be used as a primer for automotive air conditioning service by the amateur? I have a couple of cars that use R-12, and still have a almost-full 30-pound bottle of R-12. I don't want waste it learning how to properly service the a/c.

I just went out and re-checked for a sight glass, the dryer is along side of the condensor behind the grill. No sight glass, also tracked the lines from the firewall to the compressor and condensor and none found either

Look on top of the receiver/dryer cylinder. The sight glass is often in a small recess, covered by black paint. Scratch away the paint and the sight glass should be exposed.