How to install battery bracket/support in '64 Avanti?

Pete Rutledge

I purchased Stude Int'l part number 800076, battery tray reinforcement, for $60 about a year ago.  It consists of two pieces (see picture) and came with no instructions.  From looking at the two pieces, it is not obvious to me how to install it.  The only clue is in the catalog description, which reads "Metal panel fits under battery.  Bracket bolts to radiator support & front sway bar bolt.  Standard on later models.  Good addition on earlier models."  My battery tray cracked many years ago (long before I owned it) and was "fixed" by using 9 screws to fasten an L-shaped piece of sheet metal across the crack.  I have removed the rusty screws (had to grind the heads off) and the old sheet metal and will now repair the cracked fiberglass.  While I don't normally like to make non-original modifications, I do plan to add the new bracket as I can see that the battery tray structure is pretty marginal for supporting a heavy battery.  All that said, does anyone know how this bracket attaches?  Photos of one that has been installed would be worth a thousand words.  Thanks.

batt reinforcement.JPG

I was working on the Avanti battery box this afternoon (preparing for fiberglass repair) and have answered literally half of my initial question.  The strap-like piece goes on top of the frame rail and under the inner edge of the battery box.  Its front end attaches to the front bolt on top of the frame rail in the attached picture (a view from the front left wheel well--disregard the popsicle sticks  I'm using as shims to raise the battery box for fiberglass repair) .  That front bolt fastens the left radiator support bracket to the top of the left frame rail.  The rear end of the strap connects to the rear bolt on top of the frame rail in the picture.  That bolt goes through the frame rail and through the rear hole in the stabilizer bar left bracket.  The two ends of the strap are at different levels because the two bolts it attaches to are at different heights above the frame rail as you can see in the picture.  The long portion of the strap lies under and supports the inner edge of the battery box, which is where the battery box needs the most help.  As for the other part, I can see a number of ways it might fit in the battery box from above and not sure which is the right way.  Also not sure of the purpose of the various holes in this piece.  Also not really sure about its purpose.  So I still need some help, but only half as much as before.

Under batt box.JPG

Well, I managed to remove the two rusty bolts that will hold the strap-like battery brace in place.  Then I found out that the longer leg of the brace is about 3/4" too long (see picture) for a Studebaker Avanti, due to its lower fenders compared to the Avanti II.  So I will have to cut the longer leg and weld it back together to make it 3/4" shorter.  Then it will work just fine.

Still don't know where to put the plate-like support.  Maybe an Avanti II owner can shed some light on it.

battery brace 1.JPG

I finished installation of the strap-like battery support today.  I shortened the longer leg of the support by 3/4" (cut it and welded it back together).  Then I found that it obstructed two holes in the battery box--one for the non-fixed battery J-bolt and one for a 1/4" bolt holding a clip for the wiring harness that goes to the left headlight and parking/signal light.  So I had to notch the support in two places to clear those holes.  I also repaired the crack in the battery box with fiberglass and hopefully, with the aid of the new support, it won't crack again.  At this point, I don't plan to use the other, plate-like support I got from SI unless someone chimes in with a good reason to use it and some clues on where to put it.

IMG_4842.JPG

Thanks to 64studeavanti for the answer to where the plate piece goes.  So it doesn't attach to anything--it just lies there loose under the battery and on top of the battery box floor?  It would be odd that it has holes, cuts, and bends but doesn't attach to anything.  Or does it attach to something?