Third brake light ideas?

okc63avanti

Guys,

Since I plan on driving my Avanti when her remake is finished, I was thinking a 3rd brake light would be a good idea. The roads are full of idiots today who not only use their cell phones but even text message while driving.

One idea I had was buying a 12" Led light strip and mount it to a piece of aluminum and mount it just above the license plate area. Although this would improve my brake lighting it is kind of low and the whole idea is to have a 3rd brake light at eye level.

Another idea I'm thinking about is inside the rear window mounted along the bottom lip of the window or along the top lip using a thin led light strip or tape. I just don't like the black plastic rectangles that are 3" wide or the dorky looking pedestal mounted ones. You can buy a 3rd light circuit to tie to the rear tail lights so that it can discern braking vs. just tail lights.

Has anyone seen something like I'm talking about that is non-obtrusive and blends end with the car where you almost have to know its there to see it. Or if any of you have come up with something that is decent looking please share your post and pictures if available.

Thanks,

Hot rod catalogs and retailers like Speedway Motors and JC Whitney list several types of add-on third brake lights. Some are with a light bulb and some have LED's. They're not expensive...generally in the $10-$20 dollar range, plus you need to buy the logic circuit (also not expensive) to connect to the wiring harness. A better, though not really easier way, way is, rather than wire it into the rear light wiring, is to run a wire to the front and tap into the brake light switch wiring direct. That way the third brake light gets it power direct from the brake light switch.

You can probably find license plate frames that have LED's you can tie into the brake light circuit.