R2 setup with Edelbrock AFB

okc63avanti

I believe there has been. If I remember correctly, someone took the bottom half of an Edelbrock carburetor and mated it to the top half of the AFB with it's smaller diameter air horn so the R2 bonnet would fit. I don't know how well this worked without sealing the carburetor like an R2 carb is. You'd have to do a search of AOAI magazines to find it. Maybe it could be on Bob Johnstone's website as well.

There are other bonnets available you could use but they wouldn't be the same as the chrome R2 unit. I've seen a number of designs available...polished aluminum, black crinkle coated and others. Another option is to buy an adapter made for air cleaners...Spectre sells them I believe and they're available at places like Pep Boys, Auto Zone, etc. They adapt small neck carbs to large opening air cleaner bases. I see no reason why you can't reverse it to adapt and small base blower bonnet to a large diameter carburetor. It could create hood clearance problems though but it's a thought.

You could also buy an R3 style enclosure box...Vortech makes them and maybe others. I'm sure that's getting into much more money, though.