Heater Core

63 Avanti R2

I'm in the process of restoring my 63R2. I saw where the heater core was by-passed. The car was in Florida for many years. I'm still guesing they did it for a reason. If so, is there a way to test them or just buy a new one, if that is possible? This engine is all stock with NO A/C.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Steve

If the core is bypassed, it likely was because the core leaked and the previous owner didn't want to repair it or saw no need to do so. There's two ways to test it...reconnect it, open the heater control valve and pressurize the system and see if it leaks all over your carpeting, or remove the heater core and take it to a radiator shop to be tested. If it is leaky, a good shop may be able to repair it depending on how bad the leaks are. You could be able to find a good used one...I'm not aware of any interchanges on the market but there may be some that can be adapted. The other alternative is to live with it the way it is and leave it bypassed.

If the core is bypassed, it likely was because the core leaked and the previous owner didn't want to repair it or saw no need to do so. There's two ways to test it...reconnect it, open the heater control valve and pressurize the system and see if it leaks all over your carpeting, or remove the heater core and take it to a radiator shop to be tested. If it is leaky, a good shop may be able to repair it depending on how bad the leaks are. You could be able to find a good used one...I'm not aware of any interchanges on the market but there may be some that can be adapted. The other alternative is to live with it the way it is and leave it bypassed.

Since you have the old core you can take it to any GOOD radiator shop and have a duplicate made. They aren't an odd shape or any thing tricky so I think you will be suprised how inexpensive it will be.

Charlie RQB3921