Avanti Wheel

rdmaxon

Hello All

I am looking for a Studebaker/Avanti wheel to use for my spare.

Before I do a yard crawl for a suitable wheel I thought I ask here to

see if any of you all had a wheel you'd care to part with[sell]. Let

me know if can help out. I'd surely apprieciate it. RD Maxon

• 2 weeks later...
Hello All

I am looking for a Studebaker/Avanti wheel to use for my spare.

Before I do a yard crawl for a suitable wheel I thought I ask here to

see if any of you all had a wheel you'd care to part with[sell]. Let

me know if can help out. I'd surely apprieciate it. RD Maxon

RD - Just make sure you do NOT try to put a radial tire in the spare tire well in the trunk...it will NOT fit. I had to buy a 670x15 bias ply. I used a late model Mustang jack, from a salvage yard, so that I didn't have to allow the original jack crank handle to float arround loose in the trunk. The Mustang jack & handle are attached.

Edited by avantifred

Unless you're looking for authenticity, try a compact spare tire used on newer cars...fits in the compartment with room to spare. For my '70 I bought a never used, still wrapped in clear sheeting temporary spare from a Jeep on Ebay...less than $30 including shipping and it fits the car with no clearance problems with the calipers or drums.

I have radials on my 63. When I got the car the spare stuck up about two inches above the trunk floor. So I bought an original size tire from Coker and it still sticks up just a bit. If I had a system to keep the lid on tight I could probably make it fit. Hard to believe those skinny tires were the originals. I believe I read they were also used on the 63 Corvette???

I have a radial tire in the trunk, although I don't have the cover so I can't tell if it will cause the cover to sit too high but a 215/75R15 does fit into the well. Why not just get a Ford or Chrysler wheel out of the junkyard. 1.5" wider but I doubt anyone would know.

ErnieR

RD - Just make sure you do NOT try to put a radial tire in the spare tire well in the trunk...it will NOT fit. I had to buy a 670x15 bias ply. I used a late model Mustang jack, from a salvage yard, so that I didn't have to allow the original jack crank handle to float arround loose in the trunk. The Mustang jack & handle are attached.

I believe the problem (at least with mine) with radials is that the sidewalls are much more round than an older bias ply. The radial fit in the trunk diameter wise but stuck out quite a bit height wise. Kind of irritated me for some reason. The Coker reproduction biasply was not that much and was delivered to my door. I don't believe the shipping was that much either. It just comes as a wrapped up tire, not in a box or anything. I have no intention of driving on it.

It was fun to see the guys at Discount Tire when I took it to be mounted.

Nice looking (at least from ad) 63 for sale up at Kompact Kar Korner in Lynnwood. It is listed in Seattle Craiglist.

Edited by Milt

I figured that was what was meant...I haven't finished "restoring" my trunk yet :), no cover on the spare.

BTW, there is a separate compartment under the mat to the left of the well for the factory lug wrench.

ErnieR

I believe the problem (at least with mine) with radials is that the sidewalls are much more round than an older bias ply. The radial fit in the trunk diameter wise but stuck out quite a bit height wise. Kind of irritated me for some reason. The Coker reproduction biasply was not that much and was delivered to my door. I don't believe the shipping was that much either. It just comes as a wrapped up tire, not in a box or anything. I have no intention of driving on it.

It was fun to see the guys at Discount Tire when I took it to be mounted.

Nice looking (at least from ad) 63 for sale up at Kompact Kar Korner in Lynnwood. It is listed in Seattle Craiglist.

Edited by ernier

• 3 weeks later...

Its no problem to hunt up a suitable wheel from the local yard here. I'll get to that bit in the next week or so. My intention on my post,besides me getting a wheel, was to give someone the opportunity to get a wheel out of their way that they just kept tripping over. Good information on the suitablity of a radial tire spare. I'll check that out using a radial I already own.

Richard