85 windshield visor

Bob Fouts

Does your '85 still have the non-swing type of sunvisor the earlier Avanti's used? If it does, I'd take the visors down, pull out the rods that attach them and slide on some vacuum caps you can find at most auto supply stores and reattach. The vacuum caps will create some friction and take up whatever slack is necessary to keep the visors from flopping down. You may or may not be able to find a color vacuum cap that matches, but it's better than having the sunvisors flopping down in your line of sight.

If nothing else, wrap a little duct tape around the metal rod and it will do the same thing, but will eventually wear away and you'll have to do it again.

• 11 months later...

Should have got back sooner. No, it doesn't have the origional type. It's probably something out of a mid 80's GM I suppose. Just a shaft going into the visor. I'm going to screw up my courage and try to pull the shaft out and see what gives. Maybe a little duct tape would be the answer?

Bob Fouts

On my 85 Avanti, I can't get the visor to stay up against the roof. Anybody figure out a fix for this? Thanks Bob Fouts

Is it like the earlier Avanti's in that it doesn't swing out? If it's like that, a very inelegant solution is to take out the metal ends and pull them out of the sunvisor. Wrap some tape around the portion that goes back inside the sunvisor and reinstall. They should stay up though with some effort to swing them down and up. Not a true solution but it works. If you use the visors a lot you may have to redo it every now and then.