1988 Avanti Convertible

hendey

Does anyone know a secret way to manually open the trunk when the latch does not operate?

You're convertible should be the same as my '88 coupe. Although I have never tried it - there is a small bare wire under the back left side of the car that should be the 'manual' release - just pull on it I guess.

Bill

You're convertible should be the same as my '88 coupe. Although I have never tried it - there is a small bare wire under the back left side of the car that should be the 'manual' release - just pull on it I guess.

Bill

My 1989 Coupe has that wire also. It is on the underside of the vehicle and behind the license plate, just hanging there.

The serious problem though, is with the hood release. If that cable breaks or becomes bound, you cannot get the hood open without cutting it open! I had another cable hooked to the hood-release-latch, and it hangs straight down into the left-front wheel opening. I would highly recommend all owners of 1987-1991 Avanti's add this safety cable.

Ernie

Edited by Ernie

Bill

Bill and Ernie:

Thanks, once we knew where to look we were able to get the trunk open. Great

Bill and Ernie:

Thanks, once we knew where to look we were able to get the trunk open. Great

Hey - Ernie!

I have often thought about the front hood release - could you describe (picture better) how you accomplihed the "emergency" release set-up?

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
I'll get a picture taken this weekend.

I have been meaning to write this for quite a while. My trunk release has not operated on a number of occasions, mostly in Winter. If I start the car the trunk releases normally - not enough 'juice' getting back their otherwise? SO, if this ever happens to YOU try getting more electricity back there / you probably won't need to use the "emergency release".

Bill Daly