Headlights Slow to Activate

Fairwater

When turning on the headlights switch on my 84 Avanti, it takes up to two minutes before any light from the headlights. The instrument lights and running lights are all working. Does anyone have any ideas where to start looking for the "long" in the circuit? :)

George Fredlund

Edited by Fairwater

The headlight switch is strictly on/off...either the power is flowing or not. You might check the headlight relay. With a test light turn the lights on and see if power is going in and if it's going out. If it takes time for power to come out to the headlights, then you know the relay is bad. The headlights are also on a circuit breaker...that could be bad. A bad circuit breaker can do funny things that defy logic. About the only other place the headlights are wired into is the dimmer switch, but it seems unlikely that could cause the problem.

My bet is either the headlight relay or the circuit breaker. The instrument and running lights are on a separate circuit and switch, so it has to be confined to the one circuit.

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to find and repair the problem halfway through a 2,500 mile shakedown cruise. The lubricant inside the switch springs had migrated through time, onto the two lower contact points in the rocker switch. The points were removed and dressed as we used to do in the old days with ignition breakers.

I have had no problems since with the headlights.