Ammeter

Larry Shier

Does anyone know if the '74 Avanti had an External or Internal Ammeter; as they have to be wired differently. Thanks, Larry (Romeo, Mi. )

I should have said, ' Does anyone know if the '74 Avanti II has an External or Internal Shunt type Ammeter.' ---Larry

I don't know if this is helpful, but the ammeter that was in my '70 had nothing on the exterior of it other than the wiring pegs. Avanti Motors changed gauges by the time of the '74 model year, I believe. They were still Stewart-Warner so you might want to contact them and ask.

When I rebuilt my car I replaced the ammeter with a volt meter...more useful. Avanti Motors did the same later, as did most car makers.

I don't know if this is helpful, but the ammeter that was in my '70 had nothing on the exterior of it other than the wiring pegs. Avanti Motors changed gauges by the time of the '74 model year, I believe. They were still Stewart-Warner so you might want to contact them and ask.

When I rebuilt my car I replaced the ammeter with a volt meter...more useful. Avanti Motors did the same later, as did most car makers.

---Yeah, thanks Gunslinger; I had thought about doing that, but haven't as yet. There is a great article in the Sept. 08 issue of Hot Rod magazine about the difference in wiring,between an External Shunt Ammeter, and an Internal Shunt Ammeter, as related to GM cars. It also mentions, that a Voltmeter, is better. --- Larry Shier