How much is my 71 Avanti II worth?

heidi

I recently inherited a 71 Avanti. It's been parked in a garage in Ann Arbor, MI for a couple of years and I can't get it started. As the estate administrator I'm supposed to give an accounting of the value of the vehicle, and I'd like to sell it.

Before anyone can give you an idea of a fair market value, we need to know the overall condition of the car. Just because it doesn't start doesn't necessarily mean there's anything serious wrong. You should find someone familiar with Avanti's to know what specifically needs to be looked at and assessed. There may be AOAI members in your area willing to do that.

Taking the car to a mechanic may not be sufficient as there are specific areas on Avanti's that should be looked at that someone not familiar with them won't know. Without that knowledge, you might have a near concours level car, a driver quality car or a parts car.

Older Avantis can have some serious rust problems underneath, along with wiring and other things. They were hand built, so you can't go by a book to determine value, which can vary widely, from probably 3,000 to 23,000.

Paul