Avanti Dash Color

63avantistude

Are you talking about the padded part of the dash or the gauge overlay? If the gauge overlay, Studebaker International carries an aerosol can of paint the proper color. If you mean the padded dash, that can be matched up by a good auto paint supply shop. They can computer match it and they add a flex agent into the mix.

I can tell you that using the right materials and prepped properly it will stay nice for a long time. I'm 9 years and counting with a painted dash pad and no signs of deterioration.

Are you talking about the padded part of the dash or the gauge overlay? If the gauge overlay, Studebaker International carries an aerosol can of paint the proper color. If you mean the padded dash, that can be matched up by a good auto paint supply shop. They can computer match it and they add a flex agent into the mix.

Is the gauge overlay on a 1963 a painted metal piece?

Is the gauge overlay on a 1963 a painted metal piece?

Yes it is...the same goes for the radio bezel and the console bezels. I believe the outer edges were left natural metal color. It was for '64 and some late '63-'64 transitional cars that went to walnut overlays and bezels. I believe the factory called it Tenite.

SI has (800237, $12.50) 11 oz spray cans of "Fawn steering column and instrument overlay paint". They also carry vinyl dye 11 oz spray cans (800188X3, $12.50) "Fawn (on 1963 models used on dash and top of door panels)".

They also have touch-up spray cans in the 1963-64 Avanti white, turquoise, gold, red and gray. Vinyl dyes come in turquoise, elk and red, in addition to fawn.

Yeah, the rolled outer edges of these dash and console pieces always were the unpainted silver color. I keep trying to figure what to do with my '83. It's a brushed metal (which itself may or may not be an overlay) which looks worn on the console pieces. The gauges appear to be the same white on black with black plastic bezels that Blake used on the "blackout" Anniversary models. Very dull dash appearance, and a dark wood veneer probably wouldn't improve it that much.

I keep trying to figure what to do with my '83. It's a brushed metal (which itself may or may not be an overlay) which looks worn on the console pieces. The gauges appear to be the same white on black with black plastic bezels that Blake used on the "blackout" Anniversary models. Very dull dash appearance, and a dark wood veneer probably wouldn't improve it that much.

Mike...

What I did with the worn dash and console overlays on my '70 was to have new, laminated panels made. I went to a local speed and custom shop and they sent the overlays, bezels and ash tray lid off to the manufacturer of custom panels. They gave me a price and when I agreed and specified what I wanted, they made new pieces for me. To install them I heated the back of the panels and used the supplied adhesive and installed them myself. It was very easy to do.

They have a number of styles available...walnut, burl walnut, light oak, brushed aluminum, carbon fiber in a number of colors, etc. You can really personalize your car this way. The toughest part is taking all your gauges out and back in, which admittedly is no small job in an Avanti.