Stainless steel exhaust installation

hrhchazman

I'm seriously thinking about installing a new ss exhaust on my 67 (with the stock 327 Corvette engine) and I'm just wondering if any of you have done it yourself... without a lift.

How difficult was it, and would you do it again, or pay somebody if you had to do it again. Which, obviously you probably won't.

I see they sell for around $400 (minus mufflers) in the Avanti magazine. And since I'm on the subject, any suggestions on mufflers? Something with a little rumble, but not loud enough to get me hassled by the PD when I drive through town.

For mufflers, I've used both Magnaflow and Flowmasters on different cars. With Flowmaster you get a loud, raspy sound that can shatter windows as you drive through a neighborhood. Magnaflow gives you a nice, mellow rumble that will open up as your rpm's increase. When I was younger I would have enjoyed the Flowmasters but now I like the Magnaflows. In fact, both my '70 and '02 Avanti's wear Magnaflows (the '02 has Magnaflow from the factory). I guess the hearing damage I've suffered over the years from too many rock concerts back in the '60s, '70s and '80s, as well as too much gunfire when a firearms instructor has taken its toll.

There are other good brand mufflers out there, so what I say isn't definitive. You can also get on each muffler manufacturer's web site...most let you listen to their products on the site.

As far as stainless steel goes, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I see no significant advantage to it over aluminized steel. It's a bit harder to deal with when installing and more expensive, but will last forever while aluminized steel will last nearly forever. If you like the idea of stainless for your exhaust, go for it. If you don't have a lift, have someone install it who does. Exhaust work is pain enough with a lift, and if you break an exhaust stud or clamp or hanger, you'll need the maneuvering space.

Edited by Gunslinger

Thanks. I will have them installed by a pro. I just needed somebody to tell me not to do it myself. At 56 going on 24 I still enjoy working on the car, but when I think about all the exhaust systems I installed myself because I couldn't afford a mechanic, with all the dirt and rust falling in my face....yeah, it's worth paying someone else to do it. You haven't stopped going to rock concerts, have you? There are still a lot of good "old' groups out there that can still play like they did years ago. To quote Tom Petty, "I don't know, but I been told, ya never slow down, ya never grow old".

After all, we're driving Avanti's aren't we?

I'm 56 like you...and while I enjoy doing much of the maintenance on the cars, I've learned the hard way a few truths in my life...I'm not nearly as thin as I used to be for crawling around under the car or the dash, and when I bust a knuckle, it hurts more and bleeds longer than it used to!

Haven't been to a full blown rock concert in years, but did go see a great oldies band a few weeks ago. Most of the crowd was in my age group or older...lots of white hair types enjoying the show.

Something like a new exhaust is a toss up on doing it yourself or having it done. It all depends on whether or not you can get the manifold bolts or nuts off without breaking them. After that a Sawzall makes quick work of the old system and putting all new pipes on is pretty easy. The toss up part? Because it is easy it shouldn't cost too much to have it done by a shop

I'll admit at 57 I don't have the energy I used to to climb under the car but once I get past the jacking and supporting stage I feel right at home again.

Thanks. I will have them installed by a pro. I just needed somebody to tell me not to do it myself. At 56 going on 24 I still enjoy working on the car, but when I think about all the exhaust systems I installed myself because I couldn't afford a mechanic, with all the dirt and rust falling in my face....yeah, it's worth paying someone else to do it. You haven't stopped going to rock concerts, have you? There are still a lot of good "old' groups out there that can still play like they did years ago. To quote Tom Petty, "I don't know, but I been told, ya never slow down, ya never grow old".

After all, we're driving Avanti's aren't we?

Something like a new exhaust is a toss up on doing it yourself or having it done. It all depends on whether or not you can get the manifold bolts or nuts off without breaking them. After that a Sawzall makes quick work of the old system and putting all new pipes on is pretty easy. The toss up part? Because it is easy it shouldn't cost too much to have it done by a shop

I'll admit at 57 I don't have the energy I used to to climb under the car but once I get past the jacking and supporting stage I feel right at home again.

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning toward having someone else do it, but I may drive the car up on my ramps and take a look at just how much work it would be. A good friend of mine taught me a neat trick for getting rusted nuts off of manifold studs (or pretty much anything for that matter) that involves a torch and spray bottle of water. If you're interested let me know and I'll fill you in.

Charlie

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning toward having someone else do it, but I may drive the car up on my ramps and take a look at just how much work it would be. A good friend of mine taught me a neat trick for getting rusted nuts off of manifold studs (or pretty much anything for that matter) that involves a torch and spray bottle of water. If you're interested let me know and I'll fill you in.

Charlie

I know it's been a while since anybody responded here but I did an exhaust system on my Avanti a few years ago and it was pretty easy. Used jackstands all the way around and a sawsall to get the worst nuts off. The Avanti system doesn't need a lot of space get it in. I used the guy's system who advertises in the Avanti mag-S-something, can't remember off the top of my head. I used his bullet mufflers (real mufflers, not glasspacks). The sound inside is quiet but friends tell me it has a nice V-8 growl taking off. I would be interested in the torch and bottle of water approach. I usually just heat the nuts till cherry red, then let them cool and heat again to remove-really nasty ones might get three cycles. It has always worked for me. By the way I am 54 and would still consider doing it myself.

chuck

RQB-3553

I know it's been a while since anybody responded here but I did an exhaust system on my Avanti a few years ago and it was pretty easy. Used jackstands all the way around and a sawsall to get the worst nuts off. The Avanti system doesn't need a lot of space get it in. I used the guy's system who advertises in the Avanti mag-S-something, can't remember off the top of my head. I used his bullet mufflers (real mufflers, not glasspacks). The sound inside is quiet but friends tell me it has a nice V-8 growl taking off. I would be interested in the torch and bottle of water approach. I usually just heat the nuts till cherry red, then let them cool and heat again to remove-really nasty ones might get three cycles. It has always worked for me. By the way I am 54 and would still consider doing it myself.

chuck

RQB-3553

Hi Chuck, thanks for your input. I haven't made the move yet, and I am still considering doing it myself. I had kind of given up on the idea, but then I started thinking, "At least I could jack it up and take a look". My driveway is at an angle so I can back up on a set of ramps, jack up the front and throw some blocks under it to give me a good amount of working space. I was looking at the ad in Avanti magazine too. I've been meaning to call the guy (I think he's in Ontario) I just haven't gotten around to it. It's been a busy summer. One of my gearhead friends told me I should look into an X system, or at least an H, but I haven't been able to locate one and I really doubt that anyone even makes one for Avanti's, never mind in SS. I've still got too much kid in me to go with a stock type muffler, and am considering Hooker Aero Chambers. We're planning on making the trip to Lancaster for the International Meet in September and I really doubt that I'll get it done before then. Hopefully shortly after that. Thanks again for your input, and by the way, the torch and water bottle trick is pretty much what you're doing except when you get the studs cherry red you spray them with the water bottle 5 or 6 times, then reheat and do it a couple more times. The way it was explained to me is that the steam gets into the threads and breaks the bond of the rust. I was skeptical at first, but it does seem to help. Thanks again,

Charlie

RQA0242

An "X" pipe will increase responsiveness and maybe a bit of power as it evens out the pulses from both cylinder heads. I very much doubt if you'll find a pre-made "X" exhaust system for an Avanti unless one of the specialty vendors that services the Avanti market decides to fabricate one. Otherwise you'll be looking for a custom shop to fabricate the pipes. You can buy an "X" from Summit Racing or Jegs. Much of the system would still require fabrication, though stock mufflers and tail pipes could probably be used. I think it would be everything in front of the mufflers that would require fabrication. It would probably be much easier to have a crossover pipe welded in, though an "H" pipe addition isn't considered as effective as an "X", but still better than no crossover at all.

For the cost and fabrication involved, it may not be worth doing, but that's your call.

I don't know where you would put the "X" on the Avanti. You would have to run the pipes under the frame and I can tell you that they will scrape the ground over whoop de doos. I know because I had to run my front pipes to the mufflers below the frame to clear the 700 R4 trans and I scrape frequently.

I did an "X" configuration on a 69 GP that I had and the exhuast note changed quite a bit. It smoothes out the sound so a lot of the familiar rumble is gone and I had to go to a different muffler because it created an unbearable drone at cruising RPM which wasn't there with two separate pipes. I did notice an improvement in 1/4 times but the exhaust that was replaced was small and cobbled up. The new sysytem was 2.5 all mandrel bends so who knows if the "X" did anything.

ErnieR

Yeah, I think having one fabricated would at least double, if not triple the price of the SS system in the Avanti Mag, and since I haven't won the Powerball jackpot (yet) I'll just settle for what's available. Thanks,

Charlie

Hi Chuck, thanks for your input. I haven't made the move yet, and I am still considering doing it myself. I had kind of given up on the idea, but then I started thinking, "At least I could jack it up and take a look". My driveway is at an angle so I can back up on a set of ramps, jack up the front and throw some blocks under it to give me a good amount of working space. I was looking at the ad in Avanti magazine too. I've been meaning to call the guy (I think he's in Ontario) I just haven't gotten around to it. It's been a busy summer. One of my gearhead friends told me I should look into an X system, or at least an H, but I haven't been able to locate one and I really doubt that anyone even makes one for Avanti's, never mind in SS. I've still got too much kid in me to go with a stock type muffler, and am considering Hooker Aero Chambers. We're planning on making the trip to Lancaster for the International Meet in September and I really doubt that I'll get it done before then. Hopefully shortly after that. Thanks again for your input, and by the way, the torch and water bottle trick is pretty much what you're doing except when you get the studs cherry red you spray them with the water bottle 5 or 6 times, then reheat and do it a couple more times. The way it was explained to me is that the steam gets into the threads and breaks the bond of the rust. I was skeptical at first, but it does seem to help. Thanks again,

Charlie

RQA0242

Charlie,

I usually put H pipes on dual exhausts and the guy who does custom exhausts for me (I did the Avanti 'cause it was prefabricated but on my other vehicles I have custom bent stuff) always asks why? He does it and the sound is much better but I can't tell any performance difference. I know yours is a 67 but the later Avanti exhausts have catalytic converters and from the engine both banks lead into one. After the converter the system splits again and it's dual the rest of the way. If you really want a system with a crossover, you could install a later system on the car and sub a pipe for the catalytic converter (you don't get it with the system anyway). As far as the heating/cooling goes for loosening rust frozen nuts, it's not the steam getting into the threads, it is just the expansion and contraction of the metal breaking the rust bond in the threads. The water bottle just speeds up the process.

chuck

RQB-3553

I don't know where you would put the "X" on the Avanti. You would have to run the pipes under the frame and I can tell you that they will scrape the ground over whoop de doos. I know because I had to run my front pipes to the mufflers below the frame to clear the 700 R4 trans and I scrape frequently.

I did an "X" configuration on a 69 GP that I had and the exhuast note changed quite a bit. It smoothes out the sound so a lot of the familiar rumble is gone and I had to go to a different muffler because it created an unbearable drone at cruising RPM which wasn't there with two separate pipes. I did notice an improvement in 1/4 times but the exhaust that was replaced was small and cobbled up. The new sysytem was 2.5 all mandrel bends so who knows if the "X" did anything.

ErnieR

Hi Ernie,

The X pipe idea sounded good, from a performance viewpoint, but all things considered it's really not feasible. Especially if the exhaust is going to be scraping the ground on every little bump. Right now I'm leaning toward the SS system in the Avanti mag, and Hooker Aero Chambers. If anyone knows of any reason I shouldn't go with the Hookers I'd be happy to hear why. Unless you're going to tell me they're a little too loud. A little loud is good....at least in my book anyway.

Edited by hrhchazman